Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cutting out.  (Read 1963 times)

Ruselesseyes

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Cutting out.
    « on: September 29, 2009, 10:10:04 AM »
    okay this ones got me really stumped. Here's the problem.

My desktop was leant to the mother in law, and after about 6 months suddenly it wouldn't load up. So I took it back to look at. When you load the computer up, as soon as it starts to load windows it decides to cut out and restart itself, so I did a format of windows to try and resolve this. Windows installed okay no problem. but the same problem still happens. It will happily sit in the bios screen for as long as you want without cutting out. or even at the screen of "Windows Error Recovery" (please select an option) until the time is up and it chooses the default.
    I've tried loading in safe mode but still nothing. I've thought it may be overheating, So i've taken the sides off, cleaned out all the fans and the boards, taken out the RAM and changed it into the other slots, cleaned the ram and the slots, cleaned the graphics card and the slot. Tried using a different power cord. I don't think it's the power unit because it can stay on for hours (tested upto 2 hours) in Bios without any issues. The heat is registering at:

CPU temp: 40C
    System Temp: 26C

Now it is at the stage it wont even load the windows screen, as soon as you select load windows it cuts out and restarts. I tried another format, but now when I boot from CD, it loads the disc, and as soon as the loading screen is over it cuts out again. So wont even boot the CD.

System:
    Windows Vista Premium
    2 x 1024 Sticks of DDR2 RAM.
    A Gforce Gcard, 512 Mem (8600GTX I think...)
    ATX-500 POwer unit (230)

any help would be greatly appreciated.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Cutting out.
    « Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 10:50:08 AM »
    Try it with only 1 stik of RAM...
    Borrow another PSU of the same or greater wattage and swap it in there...
    DLoad and run the HDD diagnostics from the drive manuf. site.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "