Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer failed at various stages in boot process  (Read 2277 times)

Master_Shake

Topic Starter

Computer failed at various stages in boot process
    « on: September 26, 2009, 07:05:30 AM »
    I am running an Emachines with Windows XP.

Ok, my computer started failing at various stages in the boot process but I was able to get it to turn on after many tries.  After several weeks of it steadily getting worse, now it will not work at all, I don't even get the Emachines logo.

I would try to start up my computer and it would fail early on in the boot process (after the Emachines logo).  After several tries like this it would get along a little further in the boot process (and would shut off in the middle of loading XP).  After a few more tries I would finally get it to boot up.  It could take 20-30 tries to get it to boot.  After booting up things worked out fairly well.... it would stay on but once in awhile (average of 15-30 hours later) it would chirp and shut off for no reason.  Fans would keep spinning and the power button stayed lit.  For some reason the hard drive light stayed on continuously.  Usually it shut off when I was doing something that used computer resources such as listening to an mp3 song (although it didn't tend to happen while browsing the internet, maybe a RAM problem?) but sometimes would happen when I wasn't on the computer.

When I tried to restart the computer after it shut off suddenly it would start right up.  Interesting?  However if the computer had shut off while I was asleep, and presumably a few hours had passed since it shut off, I would have the same trouble I described earlier with getting it to start.

This, along with the fact that it worked after several boot attempts, it seems that if it was "warmed up" it would start just fine.

Whenever I tried to start my computer and it would shut off in the middle of the boot process it would make a chirping sound at the time it shut down.  The power light would stay and the hard drive light would stay on solid.

Now after the problem has steadily gotten worse (it would take more tries to get the computer further along in the boot process and eventually get it started), the computer shut off while I was sleeping and now doesn't work at all.  The power light will come on and the fans will spin (and hard drive light comes on and stays on) but the Emachines logo won't even come on, I can try restarting 50 times with no avail. Since the BIOS logo doesn't come on, I doubt it is a hard drive problem, but that doesn't explain the light staying on.  I might be wrong I'm no expert.

Please help me troubleshoot my problem!  Thanks in advance.

-Brandon

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Computer failed at various stages in boot process
    « Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 07:49:07 AM »
    Borrow a known good PSU of the same or greater wattage and swap it in there...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Master_Shake

Topic Starter

Re: Computer failed at various stages in boot process
      « Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 08:43:07 AM »
      Well my suspicions were confirmed that it wasn't the hard drive.  I swapped in a different hard drive and it had the same problem, it wouldn't start spinning and the hard drive light was still on steady.

I don't have a power supply unit to swap in because my dad doesn't want to take apart his computer anymore.  I need to be absolutely sure this is the issue before I buy a new one.

I checked the power supply to the hard drive with a multimeter and it was 12 volts.

Could it still be a problem with the PSU?