Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: data recovery  (Read 2805 times)

EEVIAC

data recovery
« on: October 06, 2009, 03:53:38 PM »
Does anyone know of a freeware utility that recovers data from accidentally formatted HDDs?

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru

michaewlewis

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
Re: data recovery
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 04:13:03 PM »
http://www.pcinspector.de/
I've used this program several times to recover deleted files. It works with deleted partitions too.

EEVIAC

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 04:20:56 PM »

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 04:28:58 PM »
I know google is my friend, but I like things fed to me with a silver spoon  ;D
Understood ;D

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 04:11:40 AM »
I, on the other hand, simply wish I had a silver spoon, because in such a scenario I could sell said spoon and purchase a number of other, stainless steel spoons which not only function better then the aforementioned silver spoon but also posess less pointy ornate decorations then the fancy spoon. I mean, seriously, you can tell they aren't even CLOSE to being designed for people to actually use but rather to stare at. Otherwise they wouldn't put pointy swordfish decorations pointing perpendicular to the handle itself in such a way that it stabs into your palm causing you to contort your hand uncomfortably to be able to use the utensil effectively without impaling yourself.

Forks on the other hand are a whole other ball game. The trick is trying to determine which side is the handle. This can often prove difficult, especially with the pointy decoration I previously mentioned with spoons- only the situation is worse. Recognizing the bowl-shaped tool portion of a spoon is easy- trying to make out the tines from amongst the swordfish noses can often prove difficult, and to make the entire thing even more overbearing they often use the noses as the tines causing much unneeded anguish.

Knives can often succumb to similar shortfalls, especially with the (fortunately) generally harmless "butter knife" which in common form is not really a "knife" in the conventional sense any more then it is a spatula, or putty knife. Of course some proletarian terms cannot be used for a jewel encrusted version of said utensil and so the suggestion was thrown out faster than calling Uranus Herschel's planet. (I speak of a butterknife, of course, not a breadknife, which is equally suited to the task of spreading butter and completely useless for the task of cutting bread.) The trick here is that the spatula end can often be so easily mistaken as the handle end it is practically a dual-headed utensil. Thankfully, the ornate decoration of a man playing Naked bareback cow polo on the handle often makes it quite easy to tell one side from the udder.

Reexamining the spoon situation for a moment, Tablespoons obviously are far more easily identified- the bowl portion is far larger. However the ornately decorated spoons are never table-spoons- such a design would prove far too useful. instead they use spoon bowl shapes that are so small you could cut them off and use them for tiddlywinks.

Now, if I may explore the arena of turkey basters for a moment....
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

EEVIAC

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 02:52:13 PM »
I, on the other hand, simply wish I had a silver spoon, because in such a scenario I could sell said spoon and purchase a number of other, stainless steel spoons

or you could melt it down into some silver bullets  ;)

Now, if I may explore the arena of turkey basters for a moment....

yes, I'm dying to here your ideology on turkey basters  ::)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 04:04:53 PM »
The problem with melting down said spoons to create silver bullets is really more or less the fact that the market for silver bullets is limited to emo goths who want an easy way to eliminate the fictional werewolf using a technique (shooting with silver bullets) that has actually never been experimentally tested. (In much the same way as the theory of rogaine, whereby it was theorized that spiking Jean-Luc Picards Earl grey with Rogaine might cause him to grow hair and be more recognizable to a younger demographic who will identify with him more in said instance. Of course since, Like the werewolf, the captain is a fictional character, so they do have something in common. In said instance however they are also remotely related, since the werewolf is similar to the "wolf" and the plural for wolf is wolves, and wolverine is a X-Men character and Patrick Stewart played that wheelchair guy on it so in some sense there is an etymological relationship that transcends the fictional universes within which the two characters exist. Although werewolves are more or less found in universes where these "silver bullets" are found in random lockers and lying in the floor in neat little ammo packs (see: resident evil))

Returning in a delayed fashion to the concept of decorative turkey basters, they are in fact really more or less the size of eyedroppers, however they are far fancier and less useful for anything, much less harvesting tears. Rarely, a large specimen shows up that can sometimes hold up to 30ml of liquid. However these are in general not well perserved, being that the jewel-encrustment on the rubber thingy at the top part is cracked and eroded from use. Not a well designed implementation.

Turning our attention now to the similarities between Leonard Nimoy (author of the coincidentally clashing books, "I Am Not Spock", "I am Spock" And far less known "I am feeling feverish", which was a book about the antiquated affairs of a middle-eastern couple trying to battle the arabian nights and also for some reason were living on a small farm im Iowa (which according to Star Trek Canon is also where the fictional William Shatne... I mean, James T. Kirk, Also known as Mr.T, grew up, bringing us full circle once again).

Where was I? Oh yes, the similarities between the fictional "Spock" character oh so imtimately associated with the Star Trek series, and John Candy. Now, they both died, this much is certain. However, although John Candy's body was ejected onto a genesis planet in a similar way to Spock, unfortunately he didn't have a strong-willed Father figure to be all, "how could you do that to him" in a really calm voice to one of his friends, who would then, in a similar fashion to what happened following Spocks demise, steal the Eagle V from a space dock and return to the forbidden planet in an attempt to rescue him. Although, given the dynamics it would seem that the character Barf, while playing a crucial role during the film, was really only an acquaintance and never was down with the whole "I have been, and always will be.... your friend" smushy crap, being that he was half-dog and not apt to form proper sentences. As we all know dogs enjoy jumping on tables and eating the turkey when nobody is looking, causing many a person to wonder why the turker is missing, the dog is barfing up turkey bones, and the local Salvation Army is having a sale on quilts. That last one is only strange because quilts are generally created by old ladies and are often a documentation of the struggles within the family that the quilter(s) have witnessed, so it stands to reason that one panel that appears to a family member as a documentation of their ancestors struggle over the Oregon trail might appear to somebody less familiar with that families history to be simply a circle with two lines and a picture of a weasel on it. (they might also mistake the brown splotch the quilter used to represent the ever-changing times of the day as a coffee stain, causing many a vain cleaning bill and much anguish). Actually, come to think of it, dogs also like humping things and throwing up on carpet when there is linoleum like, Right there, so maybe they purposely do stuff to piss us off and we just pass it off as a canine quirk.

Mulreay

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 04:07:34 PM »
I agree totally I was half way through explaining that to BC before he posted... topic thief.  ;)

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 04:08:04 PM »
Okay BC. Now that I see your - forgive the expression - sense of humor  ;D -- I don't know whether or not you really knew I was joking in that other thread. Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things (yes, I realize I'm teeing it up for you).

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 04:09:22 PM »
Okay BC. Now that I see your - forgive the expression - sense of humor  ;D -- I don't know whether or not you really knew I was joking in that other thread. Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things (yes, I realize I'm teeing it up for you).

yeah, I totally knew you were messing about there :P

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 04:10:53 PM »
yeah, I totally knew you were messing about there :P
Yeah, I see that now :)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 05:40:46 PM »
Your John Candy premise is flawed...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 07:31:23 PM »
how so? OK, so maybe he was more then an acquaintance, but the fact remains that as barf he was limited by his half-dog physiology, both emotionally and in his ability to do... well whatever the *censored* spock did in that room. All I could tell is he took a cap thing off a pedestal and stuck is face in the stream of plasma or something. yeah, good job spock, that stopped it.

Strangely it did stop it. Which begs the question of how sticking ones face in a stream of plasma is either survivable or helpful. It's like fixing a truck by running over your head with the left rear tire. Makes an awful mess and doesn't help worth a *censored*.

Also I'd like to note that my previous post made me make a "*censored*" type of google search, the type people look at in the the logs and go- "*censored*"?

what was it you ask?

"Patrick Stewart +werewolf"

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 07:26:34 AM »
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "