Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hp pavilion a712n has shutdown problems  (Read 5688 times)

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

hp pavilion a712n has shutdown problems
    « on: October 12, 2009, 02:53:59 PM »
    Everything on the pc works fine.  I ran mbam and no errors.  However, the computer doesnotshut down  properly, it stays hung at the 'windows is now shutting down screen.'

Wondering what t o do

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: hp pavilion a712n has shutdown problems
    « Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 03:09:03 PM »
    Has it always done this or did it just start? What led up to it? What happens if you do a clean boot and then shut down?

EEVIAC

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 03:19:47 PM »
    Maybe the file system needs to be repaired..

Click Start, click RUN, type:  chkdsk /r     click on OK..    Windows will ask you if you want to run the scan on the next boot, type  "y" press enter and restart your computer...

If your computer hangs and will not restart, hold down the power button on the computer until it shuts down...  Wait 30 sec and turn it back on....Windows will then scan your file system for errors and attempt to repair them, if any are found...

Allan

• Mastermind
    « Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 03:21:44 PM »
    Maybe the file system needs to be repaired..

Click Start, click RUN, type:  chkdsk /r     click on OK..    Windows will ask you if you want to run the scan on the next boot, type  "y" press enter and restart your computer...

If your computer hangs and will not restart, hold down the power button on the computer until it shuts down...  Wait 30 sec and turn it back on....Windows will then scan your file system for errors and attempt to repair them, if any are found...
    You're guessing - and it's a bad guess.

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 03:24:04 PM »
      allan
      this has been going on for almost a month now.  

eeviac
      I turn the computer off manually and when I turn it back on it doesthe system file check.  No errors

Makes me think theres some virus or something thats running in the background, but I went into task manager, and every process looks legit.  My last resort would be to do a system recovery after doing a backup because system r estore doesnt work due to shutdown problems

Is there anything else I can try

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 03:28:05 PM »
      Please answer all of my question.

EEVIAC

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 03:32:00 PM »
      You're guessing - and it's a bad guess.

Whatever....it's possible that the file system was the cause and there's nothing wrong with a process of elimination, especially if it doesn't cost anything and can be done easily...

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 03:34:05 PM »
      No, that was CLEARLY not the problem. But okay - let's not argue about it.

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 10:46:34 PM »
        allan:

last t hing was there was maybe a power outage and then this shutdown problem started.  what do you mean by do a clean boot? 

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 05:41:08 AM »
        Okay. Please open msconfig and choose: selective startup (disable everything from loading) and reboot. Once you are in Windows, try to shut down. Does everything close normally?

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 10:01:15 AM »
          yes, finally.  But now how do I know which services to reenable

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 10:46:53 AM »
          Okay. Now go to the startup tab in msconfig and disable half of the items and reboot. If the problem is gone, start enabling the disabled items one at a time, rebooting after each, until the problem recurs and you'll have identified the culprit. If it is not gone, reverse the enabled/disabled items....... I think you get the idea. If you prefer something other than msconfig, download Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel. It's a very simple startup manager.

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 01:26:59 PM »
            wow cool thanks

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 01:30:26 PM »
            You're welcome. Please post back and let us know what the offending app is - we might be able to fix things completely.

And by the way, since you did have an anomalous shutdown with the power loss it might not be a bad idea to follow EEVIAC's suggestion and run checkdisk (though the right way to run it is to boot to the Recovery Console and run chkdsk /r).

shashgo

Topic Starter

Apprentice

New problem with limited or no connectivity
              « Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 11:33:56 PM »
              no actually there was no offending app.  I did what you said,  disabled the startup apps, and then went one by one rebooting each time and shutting down again.  The weird thing is , I disabled all the apps, and then finally got around to enabling all the apps since the computer was acting properly on  each reboot and shutdown. 

Now there is a NEW problem.  I am trying to connect this wirelessly to a router, which already has another wired connection on it.  The wired one connects easily but this one which is wireless detects the network, but it keeps saying 'acquiring ip address' but finally ends up saying  'limited or no connectivity'  Why doesit do that and how to fix it?  I have service pack 3 by the way.