Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: laptop screen problem  (Read 1894 times)

maine

Topic Starter

Rookie

laptop screen problem
    « on: October 11, 2009, 06:16:50 AM »
    Hi,

Have a strange problem with laptop screen.  First, there has been a recurrent problem of screen blinking with thin black horizontal lines.  This problem would resolve if we closed the screen and opened it again.  Now screen doesn't work at all (black) BUT if we hook it up to external monitor and then choose the dual-display option, the screen on the laptop works after closing it and opening it again.  The laptop screen has a slightly smaller window which I assume is the configuration of the external monitor.  What is really strange is that while using the computer and trying to research this problem, the screen never blinks or displays the black lines.  Since the screen works after jumping trough these hoops, I guess it is safe to assume it is not a problem with the back lite.  It is a compaq cq50. 

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: laptop screen problem
    « Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 09:11:56 AM »
    Most likely a poor connection between the laptop screen and the motherboard.  There's a cable/connector attached to the screen hidden behind the hinge.  Every time you open/close laptop you "stress" that cable/connector.  If still under warranty, return it for repair.  If not, it shouldn't cost that much to repair.

maine

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 05:22:10 PM »
      Thank you for the advice.  The warranty ran out about six weeks ago, so I'll try finding and fixing or replacing the cable.  Just as an aside, I tried the HP forum first.  It is full of people whining about their computers and HP in general but no one ever seems to offer a practical solution.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 06:49:05 PM »
      Warranty always runs out just when you need it.

The cable/connector is hardwired to the screen.  It's not something you will find anywhere.
      Most likely, the connector is loose where it mates to the motherboard.  Can't really tell much until it's taken apart.

No one ever posts to a forum to say how great their computer is.  HP sells a lot of laptops and at the price they're selling for these days, you can't expect much.  Be glad you didn't spend $2000 which was the laptop entry point 10 years ago.