Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: a disk read error has occured  (Read 2217 times)

Thunder

Topic Starter

Starter

a disk read error has occured
    « on: October 11, 2009, 03:15:51 PM »
    Hi my son has a dell 4100 dimensions with windows xp about 8  or 9 years old a message was on the screen that said a disk read error ocured press control alt deltto restart Idid that but the same messge keeps comming back. I called dell and they said it was a hard drive problem he called and they said it was a windows xp problem. I hope that some one can help me fix his computer. In laymans terms and I am just a pretty new begginer myself also he doesn;t have the start up disc that came with the computer any help would be greatly appreciated

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: a disk read error has occured
    « Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 03:21:11 PM »
    Boot to your XP CD and choose the first "repair" option (press "R"). That will take you to the recovery console. Once there, run chkdsk /r. It will take a while to complete - let it finish. Remove the XP CD and reboot. Post back and let us know if that helped.

Thunder

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 03:34:30 PM »
      thanks for the fast reply Allen but my son doesn;t have the start up disks is there anything else we can do?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 03:40:08 PM »
      According to Dell, Dimension 4100 did not come with WinXP; Win98, WinME, or Win2k.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 03:54:10 PM »
      You can download the recovery console .iso file from http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=150212

Then you have to burn it to a cd and boot to it. Alternatively, you can borrow an XP CD (it has to be the same version you are running (home or pro) and boot to it and to get to the recovery console. Sorry but I'm not sure what else to tell you to do