Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: When I turned on comp it said it was installing a driver and idk what it's for?  (Read 4161 times)

TialaLL

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I'm not sure if this goes here?

When I turned on my computer it said 'installing device driver software. Searching preconfigured driver folders.'
    It was for an 'OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller' So I don't know what that is. I tried to turn the computer off and it took about 15 minutes. I recognize the number 1394, I think it was part of the name of one of my internet connections that came with my computer. If I'm remembering right and that's what it is, it's not under my connections anymore (on my Acer eSettings Management tab thing). Now I have RAS Async Adapter under my connections, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't there before. My only internet connection is dialup and I have Windows Vista. I'm just wondering if somehow this can be used to hack my computer? thanks for any help.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Did you ever install your chipset driver?

TialaLL

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

I don't know, I don't think I've ever heard of one. lol

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      ... 'OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller' So I don't know what that is...
      That's a Windows drivers for a Firewire port.  Why it's doing it at this point is unclear, unless for some reason it was turned off in the BIOS and now it's turned on.  Or you have added the port, which is unlikely since you didn't say anything about it.

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      That would be enabled by the c
      That's a Windows drivers for a Firewire port. 
      Correct. The chipset driver would enable the firewire & usb ports.