Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Depletion of disc space  (Read 2835 times)

spschromepet

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Depletion of disc space
    « on: September 29, 2009, 09:51:56 PM »
    I am using windowsXP home.Last month i found that I found that in my Drive C I was left with just 18% of 19.53 GB and that was slowing down my works.With the help from a friend I could remove many unwanted programes and gain upto 6GB.But during the course of a month thereafter for no specific reason 5 to 10 GB is consumed whenever I browse.I down load nothing in the process of browsing.I always watch carefully how much is consumed in every process.Even then I lose disc space.I very often do disc cleaning and try to restore space.Please guide me. 

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Depletion of disc space
    « Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 10:35:36 PM »
    Have you ever joined a "sharing" web site?
    That is a site where you let other people use your  commuter to exchange files.

What Anti-Vitus software are you using?

spschromepet

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 04:02:18 AM »
      my laptop is in my exclusive use and control.No juniors around to meddle withit.My wife doesn't know computing.I have a paid version of Norton.I do not suspect any foul play.I do not play games or enter any websites for having a "look".I do extremely docile browsing.I am a senior citizen.I have a software called Wavepad Master's Edition", a sound processing software(paid version) for years now and is using it often.I have the software in C Drive.Whenever I want to record music I use "WavePad Sound Editor".I store the recordings in D Drive.Sometimes I'll have to process the music files from .wav to .MP3.During such times the subject file loads into C Drive from D.After process when i close it, gets back to D Drive by default(by preference).During these times I noticed loss of disk space.There should not be any.The original music file & the processed must go back to D drive and it goes,No doubt.But I notice a loss of up to 100 MB.Sometimes I notice the space recovering slowly.Of late it is not.I use "picasa3".My pic files are in D.Sometimes   I load a folder of pics from D to picasa.I find loss of disc space but it should not be as the original files are still stored in  D and only a copy is getting loaded in picasa3.These loads shouldn't be reducing disc space.I suspect no foul play from virus,worms or the likes.I must be doing  some mistake in my computing.I am a novice to computing.If you are reading it,I have already consumed lots of your time.Thank you.Please guide. 

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 06:42:08 AM »
      have you tried Disk Cleanup? Your sound program likely stores the files in the temporary directory while processing; and might not be deleting them.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

spschromepet

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 08:09:14 AM »
        I have done disc clean up,defrag etc.I don't share files.I am now extremely careful about every process I do looking at the disk space usage.I have sufficient disk space in Drives D & E.Can I move the space to C Drive? How to go about it?With in a short time my C drive may starve of Disk space.I may encounter problems of slow boot or hangs.Please help me with good ideas. :'(, :'(, :'(, ???, ???.

soybean

Genius
        • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 08:26:34 AM »
        What about your My Documents folder?  Do you have a lot of files in it?  Your My Documents folder could be moved to D or E.

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 08:29:01 AM »
        Check System Restore (System Volume Information Folder) - most likely culprit - uses A LOT of space. Also Temporary Internet Files Folder, Recycle Bin, Temp folder.

You can use a 3rd party app to reapportion your partitions.

spschromepet

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 04:11:50 AM »
          can you suggest some third party apps which I can use to reapportion partitions in my laptop's disc space.I do not have any idea abt such apps.Please help.

Allan

• Mastermind
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 05:37:21 AM »
          Acronis Disc Director is an excellent utility, but it's not free. A good free partition manager is Easeus (http://www.partition-tool.com/)