Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What is a bluetooth stack  (Read 4437 times)

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
    What is a bluetooth stack
    « on: November 14, 2009, 03:27:57 PM »
    OK , I will try and keep this simple guys

I installed a bluetooth adapter plus the software, which is "WIDCOMM BLUETOOTH SOFTWARE"  now is this refered to as a bluetooth sack.

With the software installed,  i can view everything whats on the device (ie) mobile phone in a "operations and settings" window

Now i have uninstalled the software, and i am just using the adapter driver , so am i using any kind of "bluetooth stack.

This is on windows vista

This has been confusing me for days
    windowsXP professional sp3, Ram 512 , 1.30 gigahertz AMD Athlon, Maxtor 4r080L0 hard drive.

Laptop Toshiba.  L300/L300D series/windows vista home premium/
    2gb ram/32 bit/

Windows 7 / home premium / 64 bit /3gb system ram /

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: What is a bluetooth stack
    « Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 03:46:35 PM »
    Don't know.
    Have you already read this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883259

Microsoft does not love bucktooth.  >:(
    Does anyone think that will change?

Mulreay

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 07:04:23 AM »

Mmm let me think..

>>Bluetooth stack<<

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
      « Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 07:27:58 AM »
      Mmm let me think..

>>Bluetooth stack<<

I've already seen them and still don't get it  "in laymans terms" please , you try reading them, if you are new to this subject it hard to figure out what your actually reading
      I thought someone might explain it "in an understandable way"
      windowsXP professional sp3, Ram 512 , 1.30 gigahertz AMD Athlon, Maxtor 4r080L0 hard drive.

2gb ram/32 bit/

Mulreay

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 07:35:45 AM »
      Ok imagine you have some protocols or 'rules' or to be clear, a set of calling rules which is used by computers to communicate with each other across a network. Hence bluetooth.
      A stack is when you have multiple protocols and they are 'stacked' together.
      This 'stack' enables and controls the network. Not sure exactly what it is you want to know but I'm willing to help if you can be more specific.

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
        « Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 07:50:47 AM »
        Ok imagine you have some protocols or 'rules' or to be clear, a set of calling rules which is used by computers to communicate with each other across a network. Hence bluetooth.
        A stack is when you have multiple protocols and they are 'stacked' together.
        This 'stack' enables and controls the network. Not sure exactly what it is you want to know but I'm willing to help if you can be more specific.

OK Mulreay

I 've got a better idea now  "protocols"  (ie)  "FTP"  "OBEX"   etc

So my software " WIDCOMM BLUETOOTH SOFTWARE"   is the bluetooth stack

So if i uninstall this software, which i might because i don't use all these "protocols" or features and just use the adapter driver.
        I take it this will be with limited protocols and features..

Am i getting there slowley

2gb ram/32 bit/

Mulreay

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 08:10:25 AM »
        But if the 'adapter' is a bluetooth adapter, then it will no longer be a bluetooth adapter as it will have no connection protocols.
        What is the end result you are searching for as I'm lost. If you remove the network protocols from a bluetooth device it is no longer a device able to connect to anything so it will be a nothing.

I protocol networks there for I am! Just a twist on the old 'I think therefore I am'.

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
          « Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 08:39:44 AM »
          But if the 'adapter' is a bluetooth adapter, then it will no longer be a bluetooth adapter as it will have no connection protocols.
          What is the end result you are searching for as I'm lost. If you remove the network protocols from a bluetooth device it is no longer a device able to connect to anything so it will be a nothing.

I protocol networks there for I am! Just a twist on the old 'I think therefore I am'.

Sorry not searching for anything in particular, just a bit of information on how it works
          I have just uninstalled the software, so i do not have a "bluetooth operations and settings" window, which was what i got using the software..

I am just using the bluetooth adapter, to transfer some music files and pictures to the computer the  (device) is a Mobile phone
          And from the computer to the phone.

What i have in device manager is the bluetooth enumerator thats all, everything is working fine....
          What i don't understand is, am i using some sort of bluetooth stack, to transfer files to and from the phone, or is it the bluetooth adapter doing this or windows
          As the only thing installed is the adapter not the software

Sorry if this sounds confusing

2gb ram/32 bit/

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 08:49:54 AM »

Mulreay

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 02:11:35 PM »
          I'm not sure how many different ways I can explain this?? Let me have one more punt.
          The 'STACK' is just the protocols to allow you to network. The 'ADAPTER' is the hardware which has the 'PROTOCOLS' included. WINDOWS has nothing to do with it.
          It's probably me just explaining it wrong...

Salmon Trout

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 03:51:28 PM »
          1. In computing, a protocol is a set of calling rules which is used by computers to communicate with each other across a network.

2. A protocol "suite" is the set of protocols which enable a particular type of communication. For example there is a "TCP/IP" suite to enable communication over LANs, the Internet etc.

3. A protocol "stack" (sometimes communications stack) is a particular software implementation of a computer networking protocol suite. The terms are often used interchangeably. Strictly speaking, the suite is the definition of the protocols, and the stack is the software implementation of them.

4. The word "stack" is used because of the organisation of the suite, which can be thought of as having "layers" like a stack of pancakes. At the top is the "application" layer which gives and takes data to & from applications. Next there are various layers which lead to the bottom most layer where packets are dealt with via software driver to the hardware.

5. An operating system may have a stack installed already or it may need to be added.

So my software " WIDCOMM BLUETOOTH SOFTWARE"   is the bluetooth stack

Exactly so.

carlrowley1

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• liverpool fc
            « Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 05:00:04 PM »
            1. In computing, a protocol is a set of calling rules which is used by computers to communicate with each other across a network.

2. A protocol "suite" is the set of protocols which enable a particular type of communication. For example there is a "TCP/IP" suite to enable communication over LANs, the Internet etc.

3. A protocol "stack" (sometimes communications stack) is a particular software implementation of a computer networking protocol suite. The terms are often used interchangeably. Strictly speaking, the suite is the definition of the protocols, and the stack is the software implementation of them.

4. The word "stack" is used because of the organisation of the suite, which can be thought of as having "layers" like a stack of pancakes. At the top is the "application" layer which gives and takes data to & from applications. Next there are various layers which lead to the bottom most layer where packets are dealt with via software driver to the hardware.

5. An operating system may have a stack installed already or it may need to be added

Thanks salmon trout, thats a pritty good explanation of it all, before you posted i have been going over what Mulreay posted, but your post finally brought it all togeather
            And i am beginning to make sence of it all..

So just plugging the adapter in, and not using the software, will just provide me with some basic services.
            And the software provides a particular software implementation of a computer networking protocol suite

I have used the software , and i know what it entails, its pritty good and you can do alot of things with this.
            But at the moment, for what i use it for i have uninstalled the software and i am just using the adapter with the basic services..(ie) sending music, photos to and from the computer.

I will carry on learning a bit about bluetooth, as i did not know you can do all these things with the software or stack...

Thankyou again for explaining it to me salmon trout........... :)

I'm not sure how many different ways I can explain this?? Let me have one more punt.
            The 'STACK' is just the protocols to allow you to network. The 'ADAPTER' is the hardware which has the 'PROTOCOLS' included. WINDOWS has nothing to do with it.
            It's probably me just explaining it wrong...

The "ADAPTER"  is the hardware which has the "PROTOCOLS" included

Got it now Mulreay, with some basic services or protocols, which suits me at the moment, but i might get into this

Thankyou again Mulreay for your help and advice...... :)

2gb ram/32 bit/