Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Resolution stuck at 640X480  (Read 2007 times)

mista_sapp

Topic Starter

Starter

Resolution stuck at 640X480
    « on: October 23, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »
    Okay, the other day I was helping a friend out with his computer. He was claiming to have video card problems, so i took a look and sure enough, he was. I know this because his onboard video works just fine.

I brought his computer over to my place and tried putting my graphics card into his computer in place of his. His computer didn't even detect it. So, i tried putting them both (separately) back into my computer and ever since then my resolutions been stuck on 640X480, 60Hz, 32 colors.

The cards:
    -Nvidia 7300gs and 8400gs

Other specifications:
    -Windows XP professional
    -AMD athlon 3200 2.0
    -1.5g RAM

When it happened:
    -Right after I had tried using my graphics card in his computer
    -Was running at 1280x1024 beautifully beforehand

What i've done to resolve this:
    -Uninstall, reinstall drivers both from website and from the CD
    -Reseat card multiple times
    -Confirmed PCI express slot is active in BIOS

What i think it is:
    -Graphics card is fried altogether from friends' pci express slot on his motherboard

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Resolution stuck at 640X480
    « Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 08:12:49 PM »
    So, i tried putting them both (separately) back into my computer and ever since then my resolutions been stuck on 640X480, 60Hz, 32 colors.
    Did you resolve this?
    Is you computer running OK now?
    Did his card fry your computer?

mista_sapp

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: Resolution stuck at 640X480
      « Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 02:18:53 AM »
      My computer's running great with the exception of the resolution being stuck at 640x480. Tried putting both cards in and installing each individual driver separately and still nothing. It detects the card upon driver installation and when i go to the Nvidia control panel to change the resolution, it gives me the different resolution options, but when i select them, it doesn't change at all. It even has the precaution notification that says 'If you can't see this, it will revert within 15 seconds' - but even that is listed in 640x480 after selecting a higher resolution.

What i think has happened is that his PCI Express slot has fried both of our cards.