Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No Hard Disk Drives  (Read 2701 times)

ehamblen

Topic Starter

Beginner

No Hard Disk Drives
    « on: December 01, 2009, 11:17:43 AM »
    I have a Compaq laptop. Recently it stopped working correctly. When you boot it up all it does is tries to boot and recycles and continually goes through that process. The furthest it gets is it goes to a screen that says Windows was shut down incorrectly and how do you want to start Windows. You get 4 options. I have tried all 4 and it still just tries to reboot.
     I have tried starting it with the XP operating system disk. It gets past the loading files portion then says " Setup didn't find any hard-disk drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program. Setup cannot continue. To quit setup, press F3."
    I have run the diagnostics from the bios and it says the Quick Test, The Comprehensive test and The S.M.A.R.T. tests have all passed but nothing different happens.
    Is there anyone who could guide me in the right direction in resolving this issue. It would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: No Hard Disk Drives
    « Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 11:23:39 AM »
    You probably need the sata drivers for the xp cd to see the hd.

ehamblen

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 02:19:47 PM »
      could you explain what sata drivers are and where would I get them?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 02:29:18 PM »
      The SATA drivers will be on the Driver CD that shipped with the laptop...
      Very early on in the XP setup process there will be a message at the bottom of the screen: "Press F6 to install additional drivers"...
      At hat point press F6 and insert the laptop driver CD...XP will find them automatically and then continue the Setup process...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ehamblen

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 03:54:19 PM »
        I didn't buy this laptop new and it came with no drivers CD. Any other suggestions where I might find the sata drivers

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 03:57:33 PM »
        Do a Google search for sata drivers for your Compaq model. You'll also need to look for a chipset driver (which is the first driver you will install after the OS is installed).

ehamblen

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 06:44:37 PM »
          Alkan and others. I went into the system configuration and disabled the native SATA support and XP booted right up. Just happened upon this advise while looking for SATA drivers on the HP website. I want to thank you for your wonderful advise and work with this like this for awhile to see what happens.

ehamblen

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 06:47:02 PM »
            I do have another problem with this computer that I would take the advise of you folks. The key board quit working for some reason. The touch mouse works, but the keyboard is totally unresponsive.

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
              • Yes
            • Experience: Experienced
            « Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 06:51:27 PM »
            Tell the person you bought it from that you want a refund