Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installing Windows 7  (Read 2769 times)

Topic Starter

Beginner

Installing Windows 7
    « on: December 07, 2009, 07:39:48 AM »
    Hello,

I'm building a new computer very shortly, and I want to install Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit on it. I had planned on buying a license from a friend who bought a 3-pack, and is only using 2.

Before I do, I wanted to verify a few things;

Firstly, 32-bit and 64-bit DVD's where included when he bought the 3-pack. He was given 3 codes. Can the codes be used interchangably with 32 and 64 Bit versions?

Secondly, Am I able to just pop in the 64 bit DVD and install Windows 7 Home Premiumm 64 bit edition? This is going on a new hard drive, with absolutley no prior OS.

(My friend had said something about needing an existing 64 bit edition to install the Windows 7 64 bit edition, but you don't need an existing 32 bit OS to install the Windows 7 32 bit OS. Is he correct? The License he bought is for a new installation, NOT an upgrade only license!)

Thanks for reading,
    -NNJZ (formerly known as Image)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Installing Windows 7
    « Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 07:59:32 AM »
    Each key works for 1 copy of both the 32 and 64bit versions...you can install either but not both at the same time...

It is as simple as setting the CD to the 1st boot device in the BIOS...inserting the Win7 CD and re-booting the machine...setup will start automatically...

You are going to enjoy Win7...congrats and keep us posted.
    Your price for it should be around 50 Bucks as the 3Pack retails for $149.95.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 08:04:04 AM »
      Thanks patio.

I am paying exactly 50 bucks..

I thought it was that simple, but my friend is insisting that you need a previous OS that runs in 64 bit to install the Windows 7 64 bit, otherwise you're stuck with 32 bit.

I understand now, I think he's confusing the "upgrade" option you can choose with windows vista.

I appreciate the help, and will keep you posted! :)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 08:14:19 AM »
      No problem....we'll be here.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

timtim41

Beginner
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 08:42:27 AM »
      Before you begin the process of installing Windows 7 on your machine, DO NOT forget to save ALL of your files and settings to your new hard drive or anything else that will hold all of that, because if you lose your old hard drive without backing it up, you will lose all of that important data. Also, make sure your machine meets all of the system requirements and that you have all of your drivers updated to meet Windows 7's performance requirements. Good luck! I am using Windows 7 on my laptop and I love it. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do ;)
      T Jewell

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 08:44:37 AM »
      Before you begin the process of installing Windows 7 on your machine, DO NOT forget to save ALL of your files and settings to your new hard drive or anything else that will hold all of that, because if you lose your old hard drive without backing it up, you will lose all of that important data. Also, make sure your machine meets all of the system requirements and that you have all of your drivers updated to meet Windows 7's performance requirements. Good luck! I am using Windows 7 on my laptop and I love it. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do ;)
      He's building a new computer.