Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Doing a backup-not sure if posting in right forum  (Read 7674 times)

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Doing a backup-not sure if posting in right forum
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2009, 05:54:43 PM »
...It is Seagate: FreeAgent Go Portable Drive. ...
FreeAgent software pre-loaded on drive (Windows only)...I have Vista
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=freeagent-downloads&vgnextoid=3723b5b59b7d5110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD
Backup software is unfamiliar to me.  Appears to be file and folder backup only.

...I'd just like to know if having this start a full backup at 10:00 is the thing to do.  Thanks in advance...
Sure!  Whatever works for you is fine.  Any type of backup is better than no backup.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2009, 05:57:50 AM »
You can do incremental backups as suggested above. Personally I prefer to just do a full backup of my system partition a couple of times a week, but it only takes me 10 minutes per system (again, my drives all have multiple partitions so the system partition backup is varies in size from 4-12 GB depending on the computer). I keep the most recent 2 images at all times.

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2009, 10:42:28 AM »
    Okay, Allan, how do you partitian a drive? I haven't a clue as to what that is. Ten minutes would be ideal over 2 hours and 15 minutes. 

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #18 on: December 29, 2009, 10:49:10 AM »
    I'm not suggesting you partition your drive, and at this point it probably won't matter in your case because everything is already installed on c: drive and you can only relocate data, not programs, and data are typically the least space consuming files. There's nothing wrong with doing the incremental backups.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #19 on: December 29, 2009, 11:52:59 AM »
    For most users a full backup once or twice  month then followed with incremental backups twice a week , or even daily,is good practice.

This is not just my option.
    The is the general idea often given by others.

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #20 on: December 29, 2009, 12:49:32 PM »
    soybean - Okay, I understand everything except how to rename a file and then see if I can restore it.  How do you rename a file?
    Open Windows Explorer (see paragraph below on using Explorer), navigate to the folder containing the file, right click on the file and select Rename.  The purpose of doing this is to make the backup/restore software you're using think the file does not exist at the location from which it was backed up and it will go ahead and replace the file from the backup image.  If you try this without renaming, the restore procedure should stop and tell you that the file already exists, and then ask whether you want to replace it.  By renaming the file before starting a test restoration, you're simulating a situation where the original file you backed up got inadvertently deleted, lost, corrupted, etc., and you want to restore it from your backup.  So, think of this testing of restoring a file as your fire drill, or tornado drill.  You want to know you're prepared for the actual disaster by practicing before it happens.

To open Windows Explorer, you can right click on your Start button and select Open Windows Explorer.  If you're not familiar with Windows Explorer, this reference should be helpful: http://www.edu.pe.ca/journeyon/pro_d_pages/file_management/FileManagementinWindows.htm.  All computer users should know how to use Explorer; it's a basic tool for folder and file management.

Note that if you use incremental backups, you can have multiple versions of files in your backups.  An initial, full backup would contain all files in the folders selected for backup.  Incremental backups following a full backup will contain later versions of files for files that were changed since the initial/full backup. 

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2009, 05:44:54 PM »
      soybean, when I clicked on Start, I see NO Windows Explorer on there. I see Internet Explorer, but no Windows Explorer.  I guess this means I'm missing it, huh?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #22 on: December 29, 2009, 05:50:35 PM »
      The option is actually captioned "explore".
      Don't forget to right-click, by the way, otherwise you won't see it :P

Another method is Start->Run (or start->search in Vista), or pressing the windows key and R and the same time (my favourite :P) and typing "explorer" and pressing enter. Windows Explorer should appear.

Yet another method is to open the start menu (standard left click) and choose "My Computer" or "Computer" which is basically windows explorer with a slightly different layout, but still the same functionality.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #23 on: December 29, 2009, 06:01:18 PM »
      The option is actually captioned "explore".
      Don't forget to right-click, by the way, otherwise you won't see it :P
      Oops, sorry about that. I was using Windows 7 when I posted that and stated how to do it in Windows 7, not Windows XP.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #24 on: December 29, 2009, 06:19:30 PM »
      soybean, when I clicked on Start, I see NO Windows Explorer on there. I see Internet Explorer, but no Windows Explorer.  I guess this means I'm missing it, huh?

Start/Programs/Accessories/Windows Explorer....

HINT: This shortcut can be dragged to the Desktop so you have it when needed.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
      « Reply #25 on: December 29, 2009, 06:41:54 PM »
      A shortcut to Windows Explorer can also be added to the Quick Launch bar if you use it.

debby

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2009, 10:25:38 PM »
        OKAY!!  I found it!  Cool!! 

Thanks everybody!