Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Turning A laptop to a flatscreen monitor  (Read 1882 times)

thisguykills

Topic Starter

Turning A laptop to a flatscreen monitor
    « on: January 03, 2010, 07:25:50 PM »
    So I have this old laptop that I am trying to convert into a flatscreen monitor by following this guide: http://www.instructables.com/id/Laptop-Converted-to-2nd-Monitor/. The battery is broken atm so can't test it myself. Some of the stuff went over my head and I wanted to check in here and make sure I was doing everything right. First off, I took everything our except the inputs, the fan, and the disk drive (idk why). I then took the monitor and plugged it in to the motherboard from the opposite side of the computer. The guy in the guide connected the brick directly to the motherboard because he said the input that you put the AC adapter in was loose or something. Instead of doing that I just left the battery in. I then glued the power button on. Here are some pics of what I have:

(back.. the power button is at the bottom, but you cant really see it)

(front)

So, will it work or did I fail?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Turning A laptop to a flatscreen monitor
    « Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 08:05:16 AM »
    Spending $50 to turn a 14 in monitor into a flat screen monitor makes no sense in 2010 when you can purchase a 19 in monitor for $100 or find one used for less.  The 19 in will have digital & analog inputs.  The converted laptop cannot connect directly to any graphics card, it must be used in some "weird" network configuration, see Step #9 in the link you provided.  All I can understand is that it is now some kind of network terminal.  Other than that, I can't tell if what you've done will function.