Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: System devices folder missing from Device Manager.  (Read 2390 times)

crippledman

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Experience: Familiar
    System devices folder missing from Device Manager.
    « on: January 09, 2010, 02:08:09 PM »
    Hello, this I a great site. Although I haven’t found a similar issue as mine, I did find a lot of other interesting info. while I was doing searches. Maybe I found the solution, but didn’t know it.

Well, this will be long, but I wanted to show what I have done so far to resolve this. I have a Dell XPS410 running Windows XP MSE 2005. The issue stared approximately 3 weeks ago. After booting up I would get the dialog box saying that Windows had found new software and needed to load a driver. The driver it needed was “Microsoft UAA Driver for High Definition Audio”. This seemed strange as I have good sound and everything seems to run fine. I checked the BIOS to make sure the integrated audio was turned off since I use a sound card. I tried using the XP disks, MSE2005 disk, the Dell forum, many searches on the internet and Microsoft web site to find the driver without any luck. Microsoft did have a hot fix, KB Article Number: 888111. The e-mail I received with instructions on how to download the fix had warnings that scared me. This was more than just a driver fix. Someone told me to check the System devices in the Device Mgr and it could help locate the problem. When I checked the Device Mgr I discovered that my System devices folder is gone. I can’t help think these are related.

Last night I ran SuperAntiSpyware and Malware Bytes and did find 5 tracking cookies which I quarantined. I ran a full system scan with Avast and the Eset online scanner and both came up clean. I deleted all of my restore points and ran the spy ware programs again and came up clean.

Today I ran sfc /scannow with my installation disks and towards the end it prompted me that it needed to load a driver and which disk to put in. The only problem I had was when it would tell me to put Win XP disk 2 in. I always got the message that I had the wrong disk in even though I had the correct one. Out of desperation I tried the MSE disk and got the same response. To finish I had to keep ignoring the prompts. I copies all of the messages from the Event Manager which told me which drivers were needed and that they could not be copied into the DLL cache with a specific error code 0x800b0100. I did some searches on this and found many results, but none seemed to match.

I am almost burned out and if it wasn’t for the “found new hardware” and missing System devices folder I think I would leave it alone.

Any help anyone can provide will be certainly appreciated. I don’t want to reformat and reload Windows if I don’t have to.

Thank you,
    Bill