Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installation and sound problems  (Read 2664 times)

winstonR

Topic Starter

Starter

Installation and sound problems
    « on: January 17, 2010, 06:54:28 PM »
    Hi my names Winston.  The specs of my computer are -

Microsoft Windows XP
    Home Edition
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 2

Packard Bell
    Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 3.06 Ghz
    1.5 Gb Ram

1x DVD drive
    1x Disk drive with 186Gb capacity, less than half used.
    Graphics Card -
    Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT

The problem(s) -

If I put a Dvd into my computer to play it, the video plays fine but the sound is like in slow motion.  The same happens if I try to play a cd.  However, if I rip the cd then it plays fine.  The same goes if I download a film, the sound will play fine.

If I try to install a game, or anything for that matter, it takes an age to do so.  It doesnt sound like the disk is even spinning.  If I try to install a game but have music playing in the background, for example on Youtube, the sound is in slow motion again.

I know that my graphics card was installed properly, I only just started reusing the pc regularly after it had been sitting for a year.  I remember not being able to watch Dvds because of the sound being in slow motion but that was the only problem at the time.

Any ideas as to what is wrong?

Thanks

p.s. sorry if this is in the wrong section

jkolak

Hopeful
      Re: Installation and sound problems
      « Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 06:26:22 AM »
      Your symptoms bring a couple of possibilities to mind.

At first the problem has the characteristics of a failing DVD drive. When they start to have alignment problems, they will be able to read any disk which is it burns itself, but has difficulties with reading commercially purchased disks, or disks written on someone else's DVD burner. This scenario is more tolerant of CDs than DVDs.

The symptom that to a different problem is that you apparently do okay with video I/O and only have problems with audio. I recently had a similar problem in which I had to go to BIOS setup and change my defaults from Fail Safe to Optimized. This cleared the sound stuttering problem for me, but similar obstacles can be found in your Windows hardware settings where you can look for the acceleration level selected for your sound card. I leave mine on maximum acceleration all the time, but reading some threads here has shown that this setting sometimes causes system instability, as can the BIOS setting.

winstonR

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 06:31:57 AM »
        Thanks for your reply, so replacing the dvd drive would be a good starting point?  Are most dvd drives universal?  And what kind of specs do I want/need?

Thanks

jkolak

Hopeful
          « Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 06:52:59 AM »
          I always prefer trying things that don't cost money and opening up the computer before I go that route. There's nothing more frustrating than buying a new piece of hardware only to find out that it was not the problem and you spent your money for nothing.

I'd check the BIOS and Device Manager audio settings first. If you had a friend with a spare CD or DVD to test for a performance difference that would be ideal. DVD drives are available cheap now, so if it comes to that, I guess you really won't be out that much. Just ask for a new one at a computer shop. Just be sure you know whether you have IDE or SATA.

winstonR

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 02:17:27 PM »
            Thanks, I would check the BIOS if i had a clue with what im doing but unfortunately I dont.

jkolak

Hopeful
              « Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 02:28:11 PM »
              On most computers you enter BIOS by tapping the delete key when the computer starts to boot. Some brands can be a different key.

Once you enter BIOS, the acceleration options are usually in the right hand column of tools.

Don't forget your Device Manager acceleration available right inside Windows.