Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: video card troubles  (Read 2590 times)

mario harmon

video card troubles
« on: June 29, 2005, 10:47:07 PM »
dam it i just wrote out this whole problem and then an error happened (it took me 25 Min's to write it out 2)

OK here's the jest of it

i got a brand new video card and it's a pci nvidia  geforce mx 4000(because it better then my crappy integrated one) my computercan only support 3 pci things and right no i have a TV tuner card, a 3 port fire-wire card and a modem card installed. i planned on removing the modem card because i never use it.

well to start i went into hardware manger and uninstalled my modem card from the computer then i shut down my computer

i then touched a Whole bunch of metal objects to get rid of any static electricity i had in my body and i unhooked all the wires and then opened up my case and with a screwdriver took my modem card out

then i grabbed the video card box and took the video card out of the box and careful put it into my computer and with a screwdriver  i screwed it into my computer then i closed my case back up.

i then hooked only my mouse, my keyboard, my power cord and with my monitor cord in hand

i then turned on my computer with the monitor cord hooked up to the new pci video card i went into my bios also i realised it did not work in my new video card so i took the monitor cord and put it back into my integrated video slot (note this is during the time my computer is displaying my bios) i wen over the video section of the bios and switched the setting of a primary video adapter to a pci from a integrated one(was integrated then i changes it to pci)

then i shut down my computer (i don't know y but i did)

then as i was starting my computer back up again  i switched my monitor chord from the integrated one to the new pci one

with my monitor chord hooked up to my pci chord the computer started up with no problem and i got my little brand name start up and then it went into the windows xp start up and as soon as it would go to the password screen it would cut out so then i switched the monitor chord to the integrated one and it worked even though i set my bios to use the pci one

then i shut down my computer and started it back up again and with the monitor cord still in the integrated slot and as it was starting up i got no picture so then i quickly switched it back to the pci and i got a picture and i said"huh maybe i need the drivers installed"

so i logged into windows and during this time the monitor chord was in the integrated one and pulled out the driver CD from the box and ran though the setup but the program asked me to restart my computer now or later and i choose later because i wanted to see a document on the CD, after looking at the document i restarted my computer

and i put the chord back into the pci card and the same thing happened and i went into my bios to check to see if everything was OK(note i shut down and restarted my computer to get into my bios) and all the setting were right

well i got frustrated and gave and put the hardware just like it was ( i took the video card out and put the modem card back in and fixed my bios back to the way it was)

i was thinking that it might be a problem that i got the integrated card drivers still installed so i decided not to disable or uninstall it from my computer because i was afraid that i would never have a picture if the pci card did not work

so can anyone please help me

BTW can any one find out what my power supply is because the card requires 250 watt power supply and a pci 2.0

the direct address for their website is http://www.insignia-products.com/pc-15-3-insignia-d400a-desktop-pc.aspx it's a insignia desktop model 400a

Raptor

Re: video card troubles
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2005, 04:33:03 AM »
You will have to disable the onboard videocard before the PCI/AGP videocard may be used/detected.

Your onboard videocard may be disabled by allocating it zero RAM. Or it may have a simple disable option.

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2005, 02:34:15 PM »
You may have distroyed your warrenty on this pc.....why did you not build you own.....instead of modding this pc>?he psu ......should have a sticker displaying watts
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 02:37:07 PM by merlin_2 »

mario harmon

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2005, 05:12:39 PM »
the bestbuy warrenty allows me to add pci and rsm as long as i don't replace anything (ex. the motherboard or the hdd etc.)