Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD ROM DRIVE CANNOT READ CDS OF ANY TYPE.  (Read 2122 times)

vitalhat

CD ROM DRIVE CANNOT READ CDS OF ANY TYPE.
« on: February 08, 2010, 03:09:57 PM »
Hello All
I am at me wits end trying to figure out what has happened to my PC
During the course of seeking a solution I tried a registry cleaner as it promised to fix all errors but didn't, now I am scared to use another quick fix.

This PC is old and all I want to do now is use it for surfing, but the HDD is very full and needs to cleared as it is ultra slow.

I had Office 2007 and Office 2003 on it. When I put 2007 on it replaced Outlook 2003.

I removed office 2007 and this left me without a mail programme.

I then tried to install from the office 2003 CD the Outlook, and the CD would not read it.I got the message to insert the CD even though it was in the drive.

I then decided to remove all of office 2003 from the add/remove, I got some installer error messages, also stated I needed a patch or something that said it could not be verified.

I downloaded the installer clean up tool and tried to install it from the CD.

My CD drive will not read any CD and I tried these on another PC and they read OK.

I want to know if I buy a USB drive DC ROM, will this make my disc readable?

I want to I wipe the lot and go back to the beginning.
FYI I did read instructions on how to do this without a CD but my PC didn't have all the references that were stated, so I gave up.

( I think that the installer tool has wiped Office 2003 even though it  it still shows on my programmes and on the add/remove. but will not work I get the preparing to install, then messages saying allow active x, then the lot disappears)

Now there are no error messages, just disappearing and I cannot use Excel or Word, or indeed any office 2003, which makes me think that it is not on the PC at all.

My PC is Compaq EvoN1000e
30GB HDD
512 RAM

Windows Version 5.1
(Build 2600 xpsp_sp3_gdr090804_1435 Service Pack 3)

Apologies for this long problem and any help will be very much appreciated.
Many thanks Vitalhat