Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows will not start, every possible test has been run.  (Read 4120 times)

lalalaura

Topic Starter

Rookie

Windows will not start, every possible test has been run.
    « on: January 05, 2010, 05:10:43 AM »
    This has happened once before and was solved by simply re-inserting the battery, but this time I've been at it for 4 or 5 days and still nothing. Windows has not started on my Dell Inspiron 1750 since New Year's Eve, I've tried everything, let the battery run out to fully charge it again, run in safe mode (that won't even start), system restore, diagnostics tests, everything.

The little microsoft bar along the bottom loads up but there's no sound, then when it should change to the Log On screen, I get a black screen with my cursor just sitting in the very middle. It moves, but nothing else works, nothing on the keyboard, no sound or anything.

I am so angry with this just now, it's doing my head in! I've done everything that Dell recommends and I do NOT want to have to restore to factory settings. I've only owned this laptop since October, it is far too early for this type of problem surely.

Any help or advice is appreciated, thank you very much :(

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Windows will not start, every possible test has been run.
    « Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 05:51:52 AM »
    Can you boot to safe mode? Have you tried booting to the OS cd and using the repair options?

lalalaura

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 06:24:15 AM »
      Can't boot to safe mode, have tried to do so countless amounts of times, still nowhere.
      I've tried startup repair a few times on pressing F8, and it hasn't recognised there's even a problem.
      I'll try using the CD but I doubt it'll go too well as the screen is completely blank and it doesn't respond to CDs anyway

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 06:30:13 AM »
      Can't boot to safe mode, have tried to do so countless amounts of times, still nowhere.
      I've tried startup repair a few times on pressing F8, and it hasn't recognised there's even a problem.

I don't know what you mean "it hasn't recognized there's a problem". Do you get to the advanced boot menu when you press F8??

I'll try using the CD but I doubt it'll go too well as the screen is completely blank and it doesn't respond to CDs anyway

Again I don't know what you mean "it doesn't respond to cd's". Just boot to the OS CD and choose the repair options.

lalalaura

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 07:08:06 AM »
        Yes, F8 works, I get to the menu, I can run ALL of the tests, without any problem.
        On pressing F8 I usually select 'Repair your computer' or whatever it says, and I get to the screen which allows me to System Restor or run Start Up repair and everything else.

On running Start Up repair it tells me that no problem has been found.
        When I run System Restore it restarts when finished and the exact same problem re-occurs - black screen, no Windows.

I put in the CD and absolutely nothing happened, as expected. The laptop is still making all the sounds it makes when it's being used, the fan works, the dvd drive opens, there's just no picture at all, nothing is happening.

I really can't explain this any better, it just isn't doing anything, and I really really really do not want to restore to factory settings like Dell recommends.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 07:11:26 AM »
        You need to change the bios so the cd is the first device in your boot order, then boot to the cd.

lalalaura

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 07:49:57 AM »
          Okay, the CD loaded and I chose the Repair option. Gave me the same screen I'd been using to repair startup etc, this time it didn't tell me that there was no problem, it scanned and alerted me that it was going to restore to an earlier point.
          It did this then restarted, and I'm back to square one again, hello black screen.

:(

jgt1942

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 11:09:38 AM »
            lalalaura - unless somebody has a better suggestion it sounds like you need to start all over and perform a rebuild. Following is what I'd suggest if you go this route.
            • Get a USB external enclosure for your HD
            • Remove the laptop hard drive and install in the new USB external enclosure
            • Copy the "Users" (Vista and Win7) folder to another system to a unique folder, e.g. MyBackup\Dell1750\Users - this will help ensure you know what the heck you just copied. This will capture ALL of your data, photos, etc as well as all of your application data unless it is stored in the C:\Program Files folder
            • If you want to be double save also copy the Program Files folder to the backup system. The only thing this will do for you is (1) provide a copy of any data an applicatin "may" have stored here, today this is rare but it does happen (2) you can look at the folder list in windows explorer and get an idea of the applications you have installed. You can get this list from other areas as well.
            • It would also be a good idea to get a copy of SpinRite from www.spinrite.com
            • Reinstall your HD in the original system
            • Run SpinRite (this boots from a CD) at leve2 2 (couple of hours), make sure there are no areas mark as "requires additional analysis" (this may mean you have a bad unrepairable hard drive
            • Run SpinRite at leve 4 - this could take a LONG - LONG time if it finds errors it will attempt to repair. No damage will be done to the data. If it succeeds in repairing you drive you may be good to go at this point.
            • If SpinRite produces a RED screen at level 4 - you have a HD that cannot be repaired and you need to purchase a new drive
            • Let's say you have to purchase a new drive, after it arrives, install it into our laptop
            • Make sure you have the latest BIOS from Dell for your laptop - not super critical but highly suggested.
            • Now you have other options (1) Install using your Dell recovery CD set, assuming you have them (2) boot using your OS CD and install (I highly suggest installing Windows 7 if possible, it is sooooooo much better than Vista and XP
            • Install your antivirus application
            • Download the updates for your antivirus and run a scan
            • Download the updates for windows
            • Get ALL the drives and updates for your system from Dell and install
            • Install all of your applications
            • Connect the USB drive and copy your data to the new build
            • Get a disk imaging application (I use Acronis True Image), make a backup of your entire HD and setup a schedule that will make daily or weekly incremental updates
            • I also use SyncBackPro (see www.2brightsparks.com) as one of my backup utilities and to sync "My Documents" between multiple systems
            • Use and enjoy your system[/li}
            jgt1942

talontromper

Hopeful
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Familiar
            « Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 11:26:02 PM »
            while i agree with part of what he said it might not be your HDD and running a pgrm that takes 4 hours to a week to finish prolly isn't worth you time.....

like he said the most simple would be to back up and then to reinstall but the fact that you can get to the advance options means that the comp isn't dead just messed up like ALLAN said change the boot-up order for your computer in the bios settings. if you don't know how to do this you can find out in this forum
            "One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." - Andre Gide

talontromper

Hopeful
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Familiar
            « Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 11:34:06 PM »
            lalalaura - unless somebody has a better suggestion it sounds like you need to start all over and perform a rebuild. Following is what I'd suggest if you go this route.
            • Get a USB external enclosure for your HD
            • Remove the laptop hard drive and install in the new USB external enclosure
            • Copy the "Users" (Vista and Win7) folder to another system to a unique folder, e.g. MyBackup\Dell1750\Users - this will help ensure you know what the heck you just copied. This will capture ALL of your data, photos, etc as well as all of your application data unless it is stored in the C:\Program Files folder
            • If you want to be double save also copy the Program Files folder to the backup system. The only thing this will do for you is (1) provide a copy of any data an applicatin "may" have stored here, today this is rare but it does happen (2) you can look at the folder list in windows explorer and get an idea of the applications you have installed. You can get this list from other areas as well.
            • It would also be a good idea to get a copy of SpinRite from www.spinrite.com
            • Reinstall your HD in the original system
            • Run SpinRite (this boots from a CD) at leve2 2 (couple of hours), make sure there are no areas mark as "requires additional analysis" (this may mean you have a bad unrepairable hard drive
            • Run SpinRite at leve 4 - this could take a LONG - LONG time if it finds errors it will attempt to repair. No damage will be done to the data. If it succeeds in repairing you drive you may be good to go at this point.
            • If SpinRite produces a RED screen at level 4 - you have a HD that cannot be repaired and you need to purchase a new drive
            • Let's say you have to purchase a new drive, after it arrives, install it into our laptop
            • Make sure you have the latest BIOS from Dell for your laptop - not super critical but highly suggested.
            • Now you have other options (1) Install using your Dell recovery CD set, assuming you have them (2) boot using your OS CD and install (I highly suggest installing Windows 7 if possible, it is sooooooo much better than Vista and XP
            • Install your antivirus application
            • Download the updates for your antivirus and run a scan
            • Download the updates for windows
            • Get ALL the drives and updates for your system from Dell and install
            • Install all of your applications
            • Connect the USB drive and copy your data to the new build
            • Get a disk imaging application (I use Acronis True Image), make a backup of your entire HD and setup a schedule that will make daily or weekly incremental updates
            • I also use SyncBackPro (see www.2brightsparks.com) as one of my backup utilities and to sync "My Documents" between multiple systems
            • Use and enjoy your system[/li}

why did you post this www.spinright.com in like four different threads.... just because you think that this is the end all be all for programs doesn't mean that it is the solution to all of the computer problems that arise
            "One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time." - Andre Gide

flipflopjd

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 11:51:06 AM »
              why did you post this www.spinright.com in like four different threads.... just because you think that this is the end all be all for programs doesn't mean that it is the solution to all of the computer problems that arise

He must have shares in the company ;D ;D

Tom1956

Black screen when i start up.
              « Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 05:45:57 AM »
              When i start my acer all i get is a black screen with the curser in the center, curser moves but nothing else happens. Tried safe mode and did system restore. When it restarted i had the same thing.  HELP!

Allan

• Mastermind
              « Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 06:34:11 AM »
              You need to start your own thread.