Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No Vista CD  (Read 2744 times)

stevejohnson1985

Topic Starter

Beginner

No Vista CD
    « on: March 01, 2010, 05:39:06 AM »
    Hi,

I bought a computer a few years ago which came with Vista pre-installed. I want to format the harddrive, but we dont have a Vista cd to re-install again. Is it possible to format the harddrive and to still have Vista as the operating system?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: No Vista CD
    « Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 05:41:51 AM »
    Formatting means deleting everything. Unless the system has built in recovery partition you will need a Vista cd to reinstall Vista

stevejohnson1985

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 06:46:44 AM »
      Ok, how would I find out if the system has a recovery partition?

Also - should I not have been given a Windows Dvd when I bought the computer?

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 06:50:02 AM »
      The answer to both questions is the same: Contact the OEM or retailer.

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 07:41:35 AM »
        Most pre-built systems come with an option to burn CD's of the operating system for just such a case as yours. Check in your All Programs for that utility.

Alan <><  :D
        I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

stevejohnson1985

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 08:46:39 AM »
          I don't really know what I'm looking for to burn a cd of the operating system....Do you know what the program might be called?

jkolak

Hopeful
            « Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »
            You should go to the manufacturer's website and download the owner's manual.

It will inform you whether or not there is a recovery partition and how to use it.

It will also tell you how to back up the computer so you can restore it.

drivenbywhat

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 04:43:56 PM »
              What is the make of your pc? Dell, Hp, etc? If it's Dell it may come with a "system restore" disc and not one labeled "vista cd". Also, if it has a recovery partition then accessing it will usually be done through the startup of the pc. Like F2 or DEL keys get you into the BIOS, F11 may boot you into the recovery partition. It depends on your system. Also, it seems lately pcs are not coming with a restore disc or the actual os disc because they have the image ready to burn and expect you to burn it instead of them doing it for you. Last but not least you can usually order the restore disc from the pc maker. It usually costs about 15$.
              If you think the number of posts you have coincides with your status you are wrong. If you put guru under experience you are a noob. If your post doesn't help the requester and only starts a flame war think before replying. If you are moderator and contribute to these things you should have your privileges revoked.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
              • Geek After Dark
                • Gekk9pm bnlog
              • Certifications: List
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Expert
              « Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 07:58:40 PM »
              Let's say that you find thee is no restore partition.
              If this is a standard desktop PC you can make an 'clone' of you hard drive.
              You buy a new or used Hard Drive of the same type and about the same size or a bit larger. Put the new drive as a 'slave.'
              You use one of the 'disk image' programs to copy an image to the new drive.
              Next install the new drive as master. Boot up. Next you 'prune' the drive of old programs you do not want. Delete user accounts that you do not need. After that you can use the defacement program to optimize the free space on the PC. The improvement in performance is about the same as doing a new install on a clean disk. Without an install CD this is the only practical option.