Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need advice on upgrades.  (Read 2796 times)

soonernfl19

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Need advice on upgrades.
    « on: March 02, 2010, 08:00:28 AM »
    I am getting ready to upgrade my computer that I built nearly 2 years ago.  Here is my current rig:

Gigabyte P35-DS3L
    Intel E2180 @ 2.0 Ghz
    G.Skill 2x1 GB Ram DDR2
    eVGA Geforce 7900 GT
    Rosewill 550 Watt PSU(36 amps on 12v)
    Windows XP Home Edition

I want to upgrade the CPU, ram, vid card, and OS.  Thinking of:

HD 4850 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161244
    2 more gigs of ram - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098
    Intel Q9400 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115131
    Windows 7 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754

Anybody have any thoughts or ideas about these upgrade items?

soonernfl19

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: Need advice on upgrades.
      « Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 08:26:23 AM »
      Actually, decided to go with the hd 5770 instead of hd4850.  Get MSI Hawk HD 5770.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127490

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 08:44:26 AM »
      Make sure that MBoard will run the Q9400...
      Just because it's the same Socket 775 there are no guarantees unless you check 1st...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soonernfl19

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 08:51:27 AM »
        It is supported.  The mb supports all Intel cpus upto and including the Core 2 Extremes.  It doesn't support any of the i3, i5, or i7s.

All these upgrades come in at around $525.  Can anybody think of a better setup for the same amount of money?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 09:00:15 AM »
        A brand new build...
        i7 CPU + Gigabyte MBoard and use existing RAM would be under that #...
        Same vid card...
        You can add more RAM as funds increase...

soonernfl19

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 10:10:10 AM »
          But that would leave with a very outdated video card and the bare minimum ram.  The reason I am upgrading is so that I can run all the games out there at reasonably high settings.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 11:26:47 AM »
          No i actually suggested ...new board...i7 CPU...... the vid card you settled on ...and use your existing RAM
          Sorry if that was not clear.
          You'ld still be under your upgrade budget but be well ahead of the game.
          You can add RAM as you go...

soonernfl19

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 11:46:41 AM »
            No i actually suggested ...new board...i7 CPU...... the vid card you settled on ...and use your existing RAM
            Sorry if that was not clear.
            You'ld still be under your upgrade budget but be well ahead of the game.
            You can add RAM as you go...

Ok, total misunderstanding.  Still, do you think 2 gigs of ram is good enough for high-end games like Mass Effect 2 and Bad Company 2.  Wouldn't the ram be holding me back?

soonernfl19

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 12:03:53 PM »
              Just checked out the total price on Newegg.com.

i7-920 - $288.99
              MSI hd 5770 Hawk - 179.99
              Gigabyte X58 mobo - 188.99
              Windows 7 Home 64-bit - 104.99
              =$762.96

That setup costs too much, but thanks for the suggestion.

Rebo00 aka Spank

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 02:31:09 PM »
                Might be best waiting a few more months until Nvidia release their Fermi card.

I'm sure ATI will drop the price of the 5xxx series then, it won't be the best card on the market but it will run everything for the next year or so at relatively high options.

soonernfl19

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 04:25:02 PM »
                  Well this is null and void now anyways.  Took my car to the shop and found out that I need around $400 of work.  Well the word "need" is a little misleading.  I am at 80,000 miles and all of the car's fluids need to be replaced, brake pads need replacement, and my radiator, transmission, and engine all need to be flushed out.  These things aren't needed, but I like to take care of my car and it is important for these things to be done around my current mileage.  So, my money must go to that, sucks :(.  Thanks for your guy's help though.

patio

• Genius
                  • Maud' Dib
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 07:44:33 AM »
                  No problem...

soybean

Genius
                  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
                  • Computer: Specs
                  • Experience: Experienced
                  « Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 08:34:16 AM »
                  Going off topic but:
                  Took my car to the shop and found out that I need around $400 of work.  Well the word "need" is a little misleading.  I am at 80,000 miles and all of the car's fluids need to be replaced, brake pads need replacement, and my radiator, transmission, and engine all need to be flushed out.
                  Your engine needs "flushed"?  I understand radiator flushing and replacing trans fluid in an automatic trans but I don't know what an engine flush is.  Do you?  Maybe you should get a second opinion on this stuff. 

Ever do any mechanical work yourself?  I recall an uncle (now deceased) saying changing brake pads was a fairly easy job.  I finally decided to try it about 6 months ago.  The brake pads for my car only cost about $20 at Advance Auto Parts.  Doing it yourself can definitely save money if you have some mechanical aptitude, some tools, and are willing to delve into it.   

The Internet can be helpful.  Tutorials or guides for some of these automotive maintenance and repair tasks can be found via Google searches and videos for many tasks can be found on YouTube.com.

soonernfl19

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 10:26:40 AM »
                    Going off topic but:Your engine needs "flushed"?  I understand radiator flushing and replacing trans fluid in an automatic trans but I don't know what an engine flush is.  Do you?  Maybe you should get a second opinion on this stuff. 

Ever do any mechanical work yourself?  I recall an uncle (now deceased) saying changing brake pads was a fairly easy job.  I finally decided to try it about 6 months ago.  The brake pads for my car only cost about $20 at Advance Auto Parts.  Doing it yourself can definitely save money if you have some mechanical aptitude, some tools, and are willing to delve into it.   

The Internet can be helpful.  Tutorials or guides for some of these automotive maintenance and repair tasks can be found via Google searches and videos for many tasks can be found on YouTube.com.

I might not have used the right words when saying engine flush.  There are three things that need to be flushed.  I think it might actually be my oil tank in order to get the slush from 80000 miles out of it.  Anyways, I have a friend who knows a lot about cars and I showed him the list of recommended procedures and he agreed that my car was around the mileage where all those things needed to be done.

And yes, I have done a lot of physical work in my life, but all of it was construction type work.  Roofing, french drains, sewer lines, etc..  I would do it myself, as far as the brake pads, but I don't know jack about cars and I want to make sure it is done right and have a place that guarantees the work done.  Besides, by doing 3 or 4 of these at one time, I will be getting a 30% discount, which means one of the procedures will basically be done for free.