Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Shortcut problem  (Read 2471 times)

DaChamp

Topic Starter

Shortcut problem
    « on: March 13, 2010, 02:17:11 AM »
    Hello there.
    I've got a problem. My Windows 7 computer, which has had Windows 7 for about 3 months, has begun to show all the shortcuts(and i mean ALL, in start, on the desktop, i can open nothing but when i go to the source of the program), as the same program. They are all opened with the same program, in this case it is VLC media player.
    The problem started when i changed my icons to show what type they were, like .xls .exe etc. I've changed that setting back, but it did not help.

I really don't know how to configure this back.
    Can somebody help me?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Shortcut problem
    « Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 07:17:30 AM »

Doug

Intermediate

• Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 07:50:15 AM »
    Are you saying that if you click on the VLC player icon it doesn't start the player but takes you to the folder where the program resides?  And then you can start the program from there.  The point I don't get in the help article is where it says the icon opens a different program.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 07:52:59 AM »
    Are you saying that if you click on the VLC player icon it doesn't start the player but takes you to the folder where the program resides?  And then you can start the program from there.
    That is not the problem. File associations are messed up.

DaChamp

Topic Starter

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 11:52:52 AM »
      Hello again.
      I tried to follow the directions, but it says that there is something wrong with the folder. I double checked, and the exe.reg folder is spelled correctly, everything in it is written as it should be written. It just can't find it in the commandoprompt.