Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Gateway P-7805u FX laptop keyboard driver issue  (Read 6785 times)

Stranger24

Topic Starter

Starter

Gateway P-7805u FX laptop keyboard driver issue
    « on: March 25, 2010, 07:16:58 PM »
    Hello all from a new member!

I have an issue with my Gateway FX series laptop.  I recently did a clean install of Windows 7 (x64), primarily to deal with a lot of Vista problems.  The Vista problems seem to be gone, however using my keyboard causes the cursor to jump around and occasionally delete entire sentences.  This sounds like a familiar keyboard driver problem to me and the device manager shows a ps/2 keyboard driver.  However, Windows refuses to update the driver, insisting that it is the most current/best driver.  (I even deleted it and Windows reinstalled it) And the Gateway driver website has nothing for my machine.  In fact, the only keyboard drivers they have listed are for desktops or really ancient systems. I've spent the last two days trying to find ANY driver that would work and have turned up nothing.  I even repaired/re-installed Win7 in hopes that something would change.  But no.  Having dealt with Gateway's customer dis-service in the past, I loathe the notion of having to purchase a driver disk from them, which may or may not have what I need anyway.

Please help, I need my gaming fix...  :-\

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Gateway P-7805u FX laptop keyboard driver issue
    « Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 05:32:27 AM »
    After installing the OS did you install the chipset driver? Look in device manager - any errors?

Stranger24

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 04:55:15 PM »
      I did find (after much research) the chipset drivers for my machine, downloaded and installed from Intel's site.  I am still experiencing  the keyboard malfunction.

I should note that thus far, it is the only problem I've had with the new install.
      « Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 05:20:06 PM by Stranger24 »

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 08:03:21 PM »
      Any laptop out there should only use drivers from the manuf. site...
      The fact that your running a 64bit OS leads me to believe this is a driver issue...
      Travel to the laptop manuf. site and make sure you have the proper driver installed.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Stranger24

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 08:24:31 PM »
        Alas, the Gateway driver download site has nothing for my notebook's keyboard (see above).  My luck, fix one thing, break another...

Stranger24

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 08:00:25 PM »
          Ah, now this is embarassing.  Turns out it wasn't the keyboard drivers, or the chipset.

It was the touchpad.

After updating the touchpad drivers (and turning it off, I hate the touchpad) keyboard functions returned!

Thank you all for the advice!

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 11:38:19 PM »
          Good news...
          Thanx for stopping back to let us know !
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "