Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ACER Problem  (Read 3411 times)

robit

Topic Starter

Beginner

ACER Problem
    « on: April 16, 2010, 09:51:42 AM »
    Hi All! My daughter has a 3 yr old Acer T-180 - problems up until now..... When you push the start button the lights come on for moment & than nothing. I checked the PSU & it works fine, all connections appear to be good. I even checked the button its self & it works! Could the MoBo be @ fault  ???? I'm @ wits end  :||x.  Thanks in advance  ;D
    It's not how much you know, It's how little you talk about it.

mr-bisquit

Re: ACER Problem
    « Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 12:42:43 PM »
    The cpu could be loose. Power cord connector to motherboard could be loose.
    Are confident are you in maintaining your own repairs?

robit

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »
      Thanks for the responce mr-bisquit...... Checked all you had mentioned...... put a working PSU in NG...... Rechecked all connections, even pulled Start Button, again no luck. I've built & maintained a few PC's, but this kinda got me going  :o. I was thinking that it could be a short on the MoBo cause the fans will start for just a second or two than shut down! My daughter said it had happened to her a few months ago, but she rebooted & all went well. The Acer is going on three(3) yrs old, so who knows whats up. I've got an older Biostar MoBo that hasn't been used much. I'll replace that Acer with that if the MoBo is shorted. Only thing is how will that TF570 take her HDD with Vista & all her stuff  :-\?  Thanks again  ;D

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »
      ...I was thinking that it could be a short on the MoBo cause the fans will start for just a second or two than shut down! ...
      Remove power from the CD-ROM, Hard Drive, any plug-in cards, etc., it may not be the mobo.  The psu is shutting down because it sees a short, somewhere.  Look for bulging capacitors on the mobo.

robit

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 06:33:22 PM »
        Hi Computer_Commando..... Yes, went though the process as in your outline...... was thinking in that direction too...... No capacitor problems or burnt spots on the MoBo..... The PC is torn down now, sooooo the next step will be the install of the BioStar TF570 with hopes that it wont have a problem reading my daughters HDD. I know that she'll have to reactivate Win Vista..... I'd better get this PC going cause she's in "PC WITHDRALLS"  The only thing that errkkks me is not knowing what exactly went wrong!!!  :||x    Thanks for your interest & suggestions.     ;D   

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 08:00:22 PM »
        Just wondering how you tested the PSU...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

hejlik

Hopeful

• Have a GREAT day!!
          « Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 09:15:22 PM »
          Said he put a working psu in
          Dan

No matter where you go    there you are.

ASUS P5B DELUXE, Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, CORSAIR XMS2 4GB DDR2 800, GeForce 7900GS, SeaSonic EPS12V 500W Power Supply, Western Digital Caviar 160GB SATA Hard Drive

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 09:18:57 PM »
          Still not enough details...
          I've seen 3 swapped PSU's in a row that weren't up to snuff and wound up being the underlying issue.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

robit

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 11:19:02 AM »
            Hi Patio! Pulled PSU out of my working PC..... I literally changed all hardware with good tested ones..... PSU, DVD even the CPU..... No luck..... I'm in the process of installing the BioStar TF570...... I'll let all know what happens.    Thanks to all for advise & support  ;D

robit

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 02:16:08 PM »
              OK All! It was the Acer MoBo!   I installed the BioStar TF570 & booted into the BIOS, no problem. However...... The HDD that my daughter has will not boot to Win-Vista.... Ya-know "WINDOWS HAS DETECTED A HARDWARE CHANGE" , Your computer was unable to start!!!!  do the repair thing (the repair thing never works anyway)...... Well it came from an ACER what does Windows Think!  Any Idea's on how I can get it to boot?    Thanks  ;D

Computer_Commando

Hacker
              • Certifications: List
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Expert
              « Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 03:06:25 PM »
              Does the Biostar TF570 have a bootable hard drive or could you create one with Vista or XP?  Then connect the Acer hard drive as a secondary drive and pull off all the data.  I think the Acer Vista is a gonner!

robit

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 03:24:19 PM »
                Hi Comp_Com! The system is exactly the same as before except for the new BioStar MoBo. Yeah I think Vista doesn't see the ACER MoBo......sooooo It won't boot. I kinda figured this would happen. I have an old copy of Vista SP1 that I had upgraded to Win7 so I'll try to install (or repair) that and she'll have to buy the Vista Home basic after 3days or get Win7. At least I found the problem and daughter will get a new MoBo + case + CPU cooler out of the deal...... that's life, or that's what people say!(break into song!) OK I was gone but i"m back now......   Thanks for your input, this site is the best   ;D ;D 

robit

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 02:44:55 PM »
                  An Update: As you know I pulled the ACER MoBo out, installed the BioStar TF570 SLI in an Apevia mid tower & added a Thermaltake Big Typhon CPU cooler. I put my daughters HDD in and POW, NO BOOT  >:( to Windows Vista. Than I put in a clone I had made a month ago - same thing  :( ! Had ACER restore Disks, soooo I figured what the heck  |V|! The DVD's wiped the HDD clean(the clone), but restored Vista to original installation  ???....... Didn"t see the non-acer MoBo at all  ;D.  WA-LA System booted no problem  ;D :o. Installed my daughters original HDD & moved her files over to the once clone(smaller cap). The only thing I have to do is replace her older HDD with a Higher Cap Drive & she'll be in business. I don't even have to contact Microsoft to reactivate for now.  Feel real good at this point, a happy ending that doesn't happen to often in the PC world. I hope my problem & resolution helps others!   Thanks all! ;D