Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need Help with new desktop  (Read 2220 times)

Cimber22

Topic Starter

Starter

Need Help with new desktop
    « on: April 19, 2010, 05:14:00 PM »
     Hello everyone, i just built a new desktop pc, and im having some issues with it. first let me list whats in it.

1. Motherboard: Gigabyte p55m-ud2, 64-bit
    2. Processor: Intel I5 2.66 GHz 8MB Cache
    3. Video: Dual Radeon HD 4670 HIS, 1GB DDR3, Crossfired
    4. Hard Drive: 2x Western Digital 500GB Sata 2, Raid0
    5. RAM: 2x 2GB sticks ADATA Ram
    6. Power supply: Apevia java power 650w
    7. OS: Windows 7 home premium 64-bit

for now thats all i can think of that might be pertinent as far as hardware. i know my way around a comp, but im no expert, im not good with the technical details and so forth, so i have no doubt ive done something wrong, but i cant figure out what.

my first issue is this system doesnt seem to run as fast as i think it should considering the hardware thats in it. i would think that it would run Crysis with maxed video no prob. it wont.

my second problem is that there is a random beep that is driving me nuts. when i boot the comp, there are 4 lights on the MB that light up,  2 are green, 1 is orange, and 1 is red, i have no idea what they mean. anyway, it passes the post test, and loads windows no prob. if im playing a game, no beeps, but if the system is idle for any period of time i hear "blip" , a few seconds pass, "blip", another second passes, "blip", and i hear a fan increase rpm's then drop back down again. i have plenty of fans in this system, i dont think its overheating, but i do feel like this is hardware related, somehow. also, ive tried my ram in both single and dual channel mode, neither seems to make a difference.
    i would greatly appreciate any questions, comments or advice on this so i can get the most out of my new system. thanx!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Need Help with new desktop
    « Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 06:00:58 PM »
    Since you've already tried both RAM modes have you considered just setting it up without crossfire to see if that makes a difference ? ?
    You may want to also DLoad install and run SpeedFan and post your temps...
    Do it at normal and then after about 20 minutes of gaming...

Nice rig.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Cimber22

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 07:07:56 AM »
      ok, here are the temps from speedfan.

idle operation:

temp1: 37c
      temp2: 25c
      temp3: 28c
      HD1: 45c
      core 0: 38c
      core 1: 37c
      core 2: 38c
      core 3: 37c

after 30 minutes of gaming:

temp1: 44c
      temp2: 25c
      temp3: 35c
      HD1: 46c
      core 0: 44c
      core 1: 44c
      core 2: 43c
      core 3: 43c

also, i have undone the crossfire and used just a single video card with crysis, it didnt do too bad on high, much better than with Crossfire, however my video card overheated and crashed my system. after restarting and letting it cool off, everything still works like it did, so no damage done.
      when i play crysis with the crossfire up, on both high, and very high, the sky is flashing, and has weird designs

im just at a total loss here, dunno what i should do or how to go about it, dont wanna take it to a comp tech here in town, they just want to make money off me, and i dont have any left after building this rig, lol

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 08:49:04 AM »
      I don't see any temps there to be alarmed about.  Do you know whehter any of those temps reported by SpeedFan are for your video card?  You might try http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php for more descriptive titles on the report screen.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 03:54:01 PM »
      I agree with Soybean here as i often do...
      None of those temps jump out at me.

But i suspect 1 of the 2 cards is faulty...you may have to test them 1 at a time to see which one is the culprit...

PS...in a crossfire setup if one of the cards is underperforming it will drag down the performance as the other is working harder to compensate.

Cimber22

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 04:21:07 PM »
        i used cpuid like u suggested, ran crysis, and my high temp on the vid cards is 52c, as we speak the card that my monitor is plugged into is running at 46c, the other is at 35c

Cimber22

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 07:50:02 PM »
          ok, so i took out one video card, and ran crysis on very high, and so far Ive had no problems at all, the game runs great! so i guess its safe to say the one i took out is faulty in some way, because i tried it by itself yesterday and the game was choppy, with flashing sky and so on.

however, i still have the beeping problem. this doesn't seem random or intermittent to me, there seems to be a pattern, and i believe it is definitely hardware or bios related, possibly some setting i have set wrong, or haven't set that should be or something of that nature...any feedback on this would be appreciated, and btw, thanx for all the help so far, as well as the compliment on my rig, this is the first new comp ive had since buying an HP with windows ME on it about 10 years ago, lol. i want this thing to run whatever game i put in it and frankly i think it should for the hardware thats in the case.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 09:57:31 PM »
          You should be able to find out more info on the beepcodes @ GigaBytes' site...