Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to choose components?  (Read 2643 times)

Drd

Topic Starter

Hopeful

How to choose components?
    « on: April 25, 2010, 12:07:09 PM »
    Hello: I am putting together a new computer and am totally confused about all the different terms: CPU, Pentium, AMD, and whatever.  Can you help me, or where can I go here on your forums to find information about the most reliable and up to date equipment. Sorry to sound so totally newbie :-[

In peace

Dr. D

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: How to choose components?
    « Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 12:25:03 PM »
    No need to apologise about things you don't know, we're all here to learn :)
    If you give us some information, such as what you want to use the PC for, your overall budget, what you need (just the PC, or peripherals like keyboard/mouse/monitor), and any other requirements such as size or looks, we can help you put together a good list of components to satisfy your needs.

Drd

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 01:30:32 PM »
      Actually, my son is the one who wants to build the computer. He wants to use it for his university work. This involves the following:
      1. uploading software that involves audio and video lessons. Educational CDs, DVD, etc.
      2. He also teaches and wants to be able to film his classes on his digital camera and load them into the computer and burn them onto a CD.
      3. We also use an old fashioned, but very well working video camera (the kind that uses a cassette tape inside--sorry to not know the terminology better) and we have a movie box by PInnacle systems which translates these into digital form. This requires a lot of working memory.

4.  We also have a Canon IP400 printer that we use to print pictures and a LIDE 90 scanner that we use for documents and pictures so we need the necessary memory and whatever else to deal with that.

5.  We would use an ADSL modem hookup, keyboard, mouse, flat monitor, speakers (not professional, but good enough) so we need a computer that would carry that kind of thing.

6. Well, you're probably thinking--these people want everything! But I can tell you that we don't do games, so whatever you need to handle games--their creation and playing them--would not apply to us.

Size, looks, etc., is secondary. He'll be putting this together piece by piece--motherboard, processor, whatever else, so we need to know what we need to buy to carry what we do. And of course, maybe have a little room in case we ever want to upgrade.

I don't know about costs at all for this type of thing. Some of what he buys will be subsidized by his university and we won't know how much  until we take them a list of stuff. Does that make sense? So, if you can just tell us what we need that is fast, reliable, and meets his present and seeing what his job is, possibly future requirements, we would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks so much!

In peace

Dr. D'Elia

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 03:04:35 PM »
        Far be it for me to discourage the "building" of a computer ( assuming we are talking about a desktop as opposed to a laptop). The experience can be gratifying as well as educational. However reviewing your requirements there is nothing there that requires high end parts (such as modern gaming would). So i am wondering why you/your son want to build a computer when so many choices exist ready built (with warranties,etc) that will off the shelf more than meet your stated uses?truenorth

Drd

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 03:18:48 PM »
          well, frankly because, although we are Americans, we are living right now in the Middle East.  Finished computers are available but there is a huge import price slapped on them, which makes them  almost inaccessible. Whereas if you have the savvy to be able to choose the correct parts and find a friend to put them together for you, you can get what you need for an affordable price.
            So that's why we're trying to sort out all the nitty gritty, like which CPU to get: Intel Pentium 4 or AMD, or whichever,  or which motherboard, etc.  If you can advise, that would be great. 

Thanks again

Dr. D

Big Joe

Greenhorn
          • When In Doubt - Press Any Key
            « Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 03:37:46 PM »
            Since you are not using your new system for playing games, there are several good motherboards that have intergrated video,audio and networking included which will help reduce the cost.

Just make sure that the one you choose will support plenty of memory (8gb or 16gb or more) as this seems like it maybe what you will need. Even if you can get by with only 4gb of memory to start with, you will be able to upgrade later if needed.

If you choose a motherboard that has intergrated video, make sure that it also has at least one PCIe (pci express) slot included (most do) as this will enable you to upgrade by installing a seperate video card at a later time if needed.

If you need help deciding which hardware to purchase, just remember that everything connects to the motherboard, so by reading the motherboard specifications you will know if a component will work with it or not.

For more information about the best brand pc hardware check out the squidoo lens at http://squidoo.com/best_brand_pc_hardware .

If you need help when building your new computer, one good resource for explaining how to assemble a computer can be found at http://squidoo.com/how-to-assemble-a-computer 
            I have been working with computers since the early to mid 80's, my fisrt computer was Northgate 386/20 and prodigy was my internet. Within a year, my almost $3000.00 computer was not worth a tenth of what I had paid for it. That was the only pre-built computer I have ever bought after I learned to build one.

trapatony

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 03:40:03 AM »
            I want to buy a laptop but i don't know what is the best for me. I dont have many money because of that I wan't to buy from www.hpcheap.com/store . What do you think is best for me?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 07:26:08 AM »
              trapatony, Welcome to the CH forums. It is concider ed bad forum procedure to piggy back unto anther's post with your own issue. Please re post your question on a post of your own creation and I'm sure the help you seek will be forthcoming.truenorth

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
                • Yes
              • Certifications: List
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 12:12:43 PM »
              I'm not sure what parts are available where you live, where you would buy from, or what the pricing is like there, so all I can do is give a rough idea.
              Your requirements are fairly modest so there's no need to go crazy with hardware, but having upgrade options available is always a good thing.
              What I would recommend is something like:
              AMD Athlon II X2 240/245/250 CPU - a nice dual core processor, very cheap with unbeatable performance for the price.  Future upgrades are nice and easy, but if you want more multitasking performance grab an Athlon II X4 620/630/635 instead.
              Asus M4A785TD-V Evo - probably overkill for the board, but a good solid model, lots of features and good upgrade options.  Decent onboard graphics.
              4GB of DDR3 RAM - good rbands include Kingston, Corsair, Crucial, G.Skill, Geil, and probably more.  Speed and latency don't have a big impact on performance so don't worry about those.
              Corsair CX400W PSU - a very good PSU.
              Antec 300 case - again, probably overkill, but it's a good solid case, nice and roomy inside, lots of drive bays and good cooling.  Usually available at a good price.
              Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, Samsung Spinpoint F3 or Western Digital Blue/AAKS HDD - all three are great drives.  Available in a range of sizes, best to get more than you think you may need.
              Pretty much any DVD drive, I like Lite-On drives but others have their own preferences, I've used a lot of brands with no isses.

I don't think I have forgotten anything, but if I have then do feel free to slap me upside the head.
              I hope this goes some way towards helping you out, as I say it's very general as I'm really unsure of pricing and availability over there.
              Feel free to ask any questions you may have about the choices I picked, or indeed any alternatives you're interested in.