Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: laptop breakdown  (Read 2509 times)

jason2074

Topic Starter

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner
laptop breakdown
« on: April 26, 2010, 09:37:30 AM »
Good day to all of you tech people,
                    I just wanna ask about my friend's sony vios laptop which shutsdown after logging in to windows. I noticed that no air is coming out from the ventilation, so i suspected it was a fan failure. As i go to the recent windows event, it was stated a "BLUESCREEN" problem. Could it be a hardware problem or some thing just turn off the fan that makes the laptop shutsdown due to overheating? I appreciate any good or great comments from you, Thanks... :)

truenorth

Guru

Re: laptop breakdown
    « Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 05:06:47 PM »
    jason2074, Welcome to the Ch forums. The reasons for a fan failure can be varied. Also so can the remedies from simple to not so.The easiest would be to blow out the interior of the computer with compressed air.When doing this procedure one needs to ensure that the fan blades do not freewheel as this can damage them. Yes if the fans fail to operate computers will usually shut down due to overheating. Absolutely your Friend should stop using the computer until the fan cooling is restored.The fan itself can be defective--that does happen.Also the terminals connected to the power for the fans may have become disconnected. For most people it is not advisable to probe around in the interior of a laptop (unlike a desktop which with proper precautions can readily be delved into).
      I would try the dust removal 1st and see what you get from that point.truenorth

funnyman_123

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 10:06:03 PM »
      Remove the Dust an then update the BIOS

Quantos

Guru
      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 12:12:17 AM »
      Remove the Dust an then update the BIOS
      That's the absolute worst idea ever.  Don't flash your BIOS to fix a blue screen.  Chances are that the BSOD is software related and has nothing what-so-ever to do with the BIOS.
      Evil is an exact science.

jason2074

Topic Starter

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 07:22:23 PM »
      I appreciate your help guys, and i think I'll start with the fan dusting and connections w/c is more logical. Thanks Truenorth, Quantos and more power! ;D