Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Warning, swindlers!  (Read 3429 times)

EmbambNed

Warning, swindlers!
« on: May 07, 2010, 06:05:18 AM »
People, don't use servise Link Removed in Aurope and russia!
I send there 3 SMS, lost 15 dollars and got not workin' soft.
Do not fall for these scams tricks and tell it to your friends, becouse it's not pleasantly =(
Now i will never send any sms in internet.

==============

Why post the link ? ? Text would be OK...

patio.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 06:12:07 AM by patio »

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Warning, swindlers!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 07:20:24 AM »
Thanks for stopping by. Don't let the door.......

kpac

• Web moderator

• Hacker

• kpac®
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 08:10:34 AM »
...open.

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 12:47:15 AM »
Where the heck is Aurope?
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 01:38:17 AM »
Where the heck is Aurope?

It's across the Utlantic Ocean from North Emerica, I think.

Actually, what the OP describes is a well known scam, which has been operated in my country, (Great Britain) as well. It depends on the fact that third party suppliers can sell services to cell phone users and get payment via the user's account. What happens is this:

1. The victim typically Googles for "send sms via internet" or "download free ringtone"
2. One of the hits includes something like "Send SMS to any cell phone FREE!!!" or "Free ringtone!!!"
3. The victim clicks the link.
4. The victim sees an inviting web page with easy-to-follow links to send an SMS, choose a ringtone, etc.
5. The victim fills in their own cell number, sends the message or gets the "free" ringtone or game or whatever
8. (Better) If the victim is using pay-as-you-go (prepay) they find fairly soon their airtime credit has decreased dramatically.
9. (Worse) If the victim is on a billed plan they find out at bill time that charges have been applied to their account.
10. They go back to the website and read the (well hidden) conditions and see that by clicking "OK" they have actually signed up to a "service" involving "useful" software, services, ring tones etc, at so much a month, first payment deductible immediately. The "free" stuff comes with the paid for service. They also see that to cancel they have to call a premium-rate number which turns out to play them a whole bunch of recorded messages before they get to cancel. Alternatively they call their cell service provider who cancels the service,  but will not refund the charges. In my country we have a Telecommunications Regulator and they can take down service providers who trap people unfairly but it takes time and they often just re-register under a new name.