Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Notebook AC Adapter Swap - Do or Not To Do?  (Read 2291 times)

brotherskeeper74

Notebook AC Adapter Swap - Do or Not To Do?
« on: May 11, 2010, 02:17:18 PM »
My daughter dropped my AC adapter and now I have to move the cables around to get it to charge the Notebook.  Is it possible to use another AC adapter?  We have an AC adapter for a Notebook we no longer have, can I use it w/ the current one?  If I do, what do I compare, besides the plug that goes into the notebook?

Thanks.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Notebook AC Adapter Swap - Do or Not To Do?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 02:35:09 PM »
They are generally not interchangeable and you risk damaging components using a different charger...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 02:38:53 PM »
My daughter dropped my AC adapter and now I have to move the cables around to get it to charge the Notebook. 
Can you elaborate on "move the cables around"?

Is it possible to use another AC adapter?  We have an AC adapter for a Notebook we no longer have, can I use it w/ the current one?  If I do, what do I compare, besides the plug that goes into the notebook?
I can't confidently give an answer on that question.  I'd look at the specs shown on the adapters.  What do they show in terms of watts, volts, etc.?  You might be better off to just replace it if there's some doubt about using the other one you have there.  You might try Amazon.com as a source; just use the search box on their site to search for it.

Note: I just saw patio's post.  I'd heed his comments on this and replace it.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 05:11:34 PM »
... Is it possible to use another AC adapter?  We have an AC adapter for a Notebook we no longer have, can I use it w/ the current one?  If I do, what do I compare, besides the plug that goes into the notebook?...
There are 4 factors to consider:
Volts, Amps, Polarity, Size of plug (inner and outer diameter)
All must be compatible, not necessarily identical.