Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: A Windows password script  (Read 3481 times)

bigbutt100

Topic Starter

Rookie

A Windows password script
    « on: March 30, 2010, 02:03:53 PM »
     A Windows password script
    I am looking for a Windows password script. What I would like it to do is the following:

1.) I right click a folder &/or file and it has the option to "attach a password" in the context menu. (created by the script.)

2.) After attaching the password to the folder &/or file, it will prompt for the password when trying to open the folder &/or file & or a file inside the protected folder.

3.) Last it will need to do is extend these protection settings so if it's copied to external media, hard drives, or other computers, it will still prompt.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    OK, some important notes:

- I don't want a programs that make you move the file/folder into a "vault or locker".

- I would like to attach a password to the file/folder with no further manipulation to the file/folder.

-"Winrar" is the closest thing to my longest most simple journey but it moves the file into a password protected archive. This would not be so bad if it didnt take forever to open just to populate (when you have multiple files in the archive.) This is very time consuming when you just want to open one file/folder.
    ------------------------------------------------
    This is so simple yet I have failed to know end trying to find this. The mac has this built in I believe, but I have Windows. Joy for Windows .

BadServer

Rookie

Re: A Windows password script
      « Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 02:08:23 PM »
      Thatd be a handy tool!
      The only thing i can think of is winrar or other compression tools but..
      that puts the folder into a 'locker' how you put it :/

bigbutt100

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 02:10:45 PM »
        Handy indeed  :-\

Mac has it built in and 7 versions of windows pass by without it.

Sad sad..

BadServer

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 02:19:59 PM »
          I'm thinking if your lucky you could find a third party program that changes the (architecture?) of a windows folder and shows a new tab in the properties window to apply a password to the folder like you wanted but still keeping it a normal functioning folder.
          The only thing i'm thinking is how hard it would be to put it on an external or something and still have the feature enabled :/

There is most likely a code/script somewhere that does this.
          On some hardout illegal site haha  ::)

bigbutt100

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 02:24:40 PM »
             :) Why illegal? It is to protect our information.

I know there is hope for a smarty pants to come onto this thread and paste a script for all of us.

Well...

BadServer

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 02:44:37 PM »
              True.

There's a bit of talk on forums about 'Microsoft Private Folder'
              Try looking that up.
              It seems to do the job but you need to be a genuine microsoft user.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              • Certifications: List
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 02:57:37 PM »
              Handy indeed  :-\

Mac has it built in and 7 versions of windows pass by without it.

Sad sad..

Actually, Mac doesn't, really. It creates a password protected disk image (DMG) that contains the contents of the folder. This is directly analogous to simply using a ZIP file and windows built in zip support. It will prompt you for a password and then it will open the folder. The difference is the Mac Finder has this function built in to automatically request the password for the image and mount it if the proper password is supplied. Microsoft cannot do this due to anti-trust laws. (they have to use the same mechanism that anybody else can to create their shell extensions. Unlike Mac OS, which I don't believe even has a stable interface with which developers can create anything like a shell extension.

Anyways; the Direct analog to the mac "password protected folder" is a encrypted Zip file.
              I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

BadServer

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 03:07:12 PM »
                Anyways; the Direct analog to the mac "password protected folder" is a encrypted Zip file.
                Of course it would be great if instead of a zip file, it was a password protected 'folder' instead..

Is this possible?  :-\
                Now I wanna know haha.
                It'll probably involve editing the registry..

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                « Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 03:11:01 PM »
                Of course it would be great if instead of a zip file, it was a password protected 'folder' instead..

Is this possible?  :-\
                Now I wanna know haha.
                It'll probably involve editing the registry..

As far as windows is concerned, with the default install and the "Compressed Folder" shell extension, a ZIP file IS a folder. It treats it just like it would a folder. It technically isn't a folder, but that's only a trivial detail. the Mac OS system doesn't actually encrypt a folder directory and instead does the exact same thing- it creates a disk image, plops the contents of the folder into it, and encrypts it, and then decrypts it when necessary. It <acts> like a folder, but it isn't actually a folder.

Secondly I doubt registry edits would persist across multiple machines in a external drive as the Original request wanted.

BadServer

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 03:40:16 PM »

As far as windows is concerned, with the default install and the "Compressed Folder" shell extension, a ZIP file IS a folder.
                  Yeah that's abosulutely true, but you know what i mean  ;)

Secondly I doubt registry edits would persist across multiple machines in a external drive as the Original request wanted.
                  True.
                  Is there any possible way for a program to attach a setting/script to a folder that is compatible with most windows Os's that will do such act as what 'BIGBUTT' Needs?  ;D

And if so, This program needs finding. Or needs to be created.

bigbutt100

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 05:34:14 PM »
                    A QUOTE and A REASON why I am done with posting on cnet:

"Two things  - New!
                    by Jimmy Greystone - 3/30/10 1:56 PM In reply to: I am looking for a Windows password script by bigbutt100

Two things.

1: Why did you post a new question at the end of an old discussion?

2: Mac OS X has absolutely NOTHING like what you describe built in. I suspect you're confusing OS X's sudo prompt for something it's not.

Now, long story short, the only way you're going to be able to have everything you want in a program, is for it to be supported in the filesystem, and with Windows you have FAT and NTFS as your choices. Neither of which support anything even approaching this.

What you want SOUNDS simple, until you come across someone with a little actual programming experience, who will tell you this would require a pretty significant reworking of some major Windows components. You'd need to update the filesystem to support a specific kind of ACL, then work the file management APIs to support those as well. Then you have to wrap all that into a pretty GUI. And even then, any external devices would have to use the same filesystem, or you'd have to create a failsafe in the file manager APIs so that it will refuse to copy a file from one filesystem to another, which would greatly upset people who wouldn't be able to figure out why they can't copy some file or directory.

I don't think there's an OS out there that has anything like what you want. Mostly because there are better ways of doing it. Just like a better way of asking this question would have been to make a new topic instead of hijacking an old thread."

Well Excuse me!  >:( I wonder why they delete the thread before I reply. You may be thinking its because he "Jimmy fatstone" wanted to end the "old" discussion, but I think he was afraid of hearing my replies. There is nothing wrong with posting on an old thread. Its an easy quick way to keep the same info on the thread instead of re-instating everything over again.

Easy is providing good customer service and good customer service is getting more people to post which gives more traffic to the site.

rul0r

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 01:25:32 AM »
                    bigbutt,
                    lulz, yea, jimmy pheared u  :rofl:
                    are you - in the meantime - also done with posting here? bcs. you're done with cnet, unix.com
                    if you think that's easy/possible, go ahead and code it yourself!

SCNR! ;)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                      • BC-Programming.com
                    « Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 09:28:50 AM »
                    2: Mac OS X has absolutely NOTHING like what you describe built in. I suspect you're confusing OS X's sudo prompt for something it's not.

LOL, he couldn't even be bothered to google.

also

What you want SOUNDS simple, until you come across someone with a little actual programming experience, who will tell you this would require a pretty significant reworking of some major Windows components.
                    He's dead wrong here...

You'd need to update the filesystem to support a specific kind of ACL,
                    No. No filesystem updates will be necessary. What can be done is simply a better implementation of "zip" folder compression, but using strong password encryption. I believe truecrypt allows for something like this, come to think of it.

then work the file management APIs to support those as well.

Doesn't even make any sense. Not sure how somebody can change the file management API functions, or why they would, either.

Then you have to wrap all that into a pretty GUI. And even then, any external devices would have to use the same filesystem, or you'd have to create a failsafe in the file manager APIs so that it will refuse to copy a file from one filesystem to another, which would greatly upset people who wouldn't be able to figure out why they can't copy some file or directory.
                    yet more pure nonsense.

Anyways, I thought I mentioned it previously, but it looks like I got caught up in the exciting domain of zipped folders. Truecrypt, while I only really fiddled with it for a while, might offer something like what you are after (encrypt/decrypt on right-click menu).

Of course, part 3 is simply impossible to properly get working, unless you "auto-install" something in autorun.inf, but then you'll be flagged as an infection.