Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor screen too dark  (Read 4051 times)

mick1052

Monitor screen too dark
« on: July 20, 2005, 11:39:44 AM »
Is there any way I can make my monitor screen lighter? The brighness & contrast controls are at the lightest and the screen is still very dark. I have gone into the display tab @ cannot find anything there to help me.

It is quite an old moniter (1996) so it may possibly be the age of it causing the problems.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Mick

merlin_2

Re: Monitor screen too dark
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 11:46:52 AM »
What o/s via the tower/desktop is attached to the monitor.......

mick1052

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 03:28:36 PM »
Sorry don't know what o/s means.

I have had a look  at the power supply & there is one lead from the pc to to the power. Plus one lead from the pc to the monitor.

Hope this helps.  Thanks Mick

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 03:34:12 PM »
     mick1052.....  O/S =  operating sysem ....for example Win 95  , Win 98 , Win 98SE , Win 2000 , Win ME , Win XP .

The issue with the monitor getting progressively darker......I would assume this has been going on for quite some time ......... Given the age of the monitor ...it's likely it may have seen better days........
    It may be time for an new one .

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

mick1052

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 04:24:35 PM »
    Thanks for that.....my o/s is windows xp.

You are probably right .....maybe time to get a new monitor!

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 04:27:41 PM »
    TYpe dxdiag in the run box if you can and test for graphics......maybe you need to update the monitor drivers/as well as the graphic drivers

updated info>>http://testedproducts.windowsmarketplace.com/results.aspx?bCatID=792&cpID=0&ocID=0&OR=1
    « Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 04:40:56 PM by merlin_2 »

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 05:07:23 PM »
    Has the monitor became darker rapidly?

If your videocard drivers are capable of controlling the brightness and contrast of your monitor, first check to see if these are properly configured before attempting to discard the monitor.

Testing it on another PC with an entirely different videocard is a very good idea as well.

mick1052

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 06:39:29 PM »
    Have tried the activex diagnostic help....says ststem is fine.

The screen has become darker over a long period.....how would I access my videocard drivers to see if they were properly configured?

Thanks

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 05:41:02 AM »
    Depends on the videocard you are using.

For Nvidia and ATI (Proper drivers!) it would be either through the icon in the system tray or by right clicking on your desktop, selecting properties and going to the settings tab.