Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help choosing new monitor!!  (Read 2241 times)

jandal

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Need help choosing new monitor!!
    « on: May 28, 2010, 09:05:35 PM »
    I would like to upgrade to a larger monitor for my computer but have no idea how to go about it. I currently am using a 17" ViewSonic Flat Panel Monitor (LCD Display), 1280x1024 black, Model #VA712b with 8ms Video Responce! I have NEVER purchased a monitor before and need as much help as I can get to make it easier. There's nothing wrong with my 17" but I'd really like a 19" or even a 20" just to make it easier on my eyes. I use my computer for email and I also watch DVDs on my DVD player and play music on the CD player. So I don't want a monitor that is too large to read my emails but one that would make watching my DVDs a larger, more enjoyable experience. Here are my system requirements: I use Windows XP Pro SP3, Intel Pentium 3, 27 gb hard drive, 384 mb RAM, Video card is a ATI Radeon 7200 with 64mb RAM, Sound Blaster audio, DVD-Rom, CD burner, 10/100 network card, and US Robotics v90 56k modem. Sorry if this is too much info but I feel it's better than leaving something out. I would greatly appreciate all advice on what kind of monitor I should look for because there are so many different kinds on the market and I don't want to make a mistake.
    Thank you for your help!!   ???
    jandal

Sodde

Rookie

Re: Need help choosing new monitor!!
      « Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 06:52:19 AM »
      A lot of your desicion making will really come down to personal choice as there are so many manufacturers and models to choose from but you can start to trim down your list by thinking about and researching the following;
      First, knowing what resolution you want use and then know that the monitor you buy is capable of this resolution.
      Second, do some online research (newegg, amazon, tigerdirect...walmart even!) for pricing, specs and read reviews from buyers. You'll learn a lot about what to avoid and what sound good to you.
      Third, go shopping. Take a look at monitors in stores and ask to see them in different resolutions. You will see that cheaper monitors distort more when using non-native settings that a more expensive model, especially if you choose a 'widescreen' model. Look at the colors and don't be afraid to adjust them yourself. 
      One other aspect that you might want to consider before spending your money on a monitor upgrade, is your current configuration. Although it is more than capable of covering your present needs, its not really tailored to todays technology nor current media standards. This presents a whole new question which I won't go into here but I think it's only right to bring this up at this point before you spend money in an area that perhaps is better spent on other hardware. Your call though.

jandal

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 08:38:43 PM »

Thanks so much for your advice, Sodde! I had no idea upgrading to a larger monitor would be so involved! I'll definitely have to check out what my current configuration is and know what resolution I want to use,  then make certain that whatever monitor I purchase can handle that particular resolution. I simply assumed I could just go out and purchase a new monitor and it would be easy. I realize there are many different monitors on the market. I'll do some research as you suggest and perhaps talk to some friends. Then read LOTS of product reviews online and then go shopping and talk to some technicians and see what they recommend. At least for now my 17" is working great. Sounds like it might even be cheaper to buy a DVD player and have that installed if I want to see a larger, clearer picture. I thank you again for your advice. Have a great weekend.

jandal

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 11:17:39 AM »
          It appears that your primary reason for desiring a change of the monitor is for more enjoyable DVD viewing. Presuming that somewhere in your habitat you have a TV capable of standalone DVD video/audio input. I believe the least expensive way to achieve that objective is to buy a stand alone DVD player(they are very inexpensive) and watch your DVDs on that. Most people own TVs with larger screens than computer monitors. Stay with what you have for the email aspect of things.Unless your objectives are greater than stated i believe that to be your best solution.truenorth

orchid

Rookie
          • Life Has no Ctrl+z
            • Yes
            • www.tyronnemax.blogspot.com
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 06:29:54 AM »
          Your monitor is very good for your works. not need a new one. I think you should do your computer upgrade Ex: Ram & Hard Drive