Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer begins turning on but then restarts and continues to do that no stop  (Read 3368 times)

harger6

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hello,

I am having problems with my computer!  When I turn the power on the computer starts to boot up and after I see the bright blue screen the screen turns black and says

Please select the operating system-

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
       Microsoft Windows Recovery Console

I let it pick the highlighted one (Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition) and then it goes to a screen that says:
    We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recetn change may have caused this.  If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly or was automatically shut down to protect your files choose Last Know Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.  If a previous start up was interuppted due to power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed or if you are not sure what caused the problem choose start up Windows normally. 

Safe Mode
    Safe Mode with Networking
    Safe Mode with Command Prompt
    Last know Good Configuration
    Start Windows Normally

Whatever I choose the computer then goes black, has a Windows Icon and then starts all over again.  I cannot get it to do anything else.

Please tell me what is going on!!!!

Kari
    I have a HP Pavillion a1102n

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    What happened since the last time the system booted normally (new hw, sw, virus, error, etc)?

harger6

Topic Starter

Rookie

I shut it off for the night.  Before that I was having some problems with it running slow but nothing that I can pinpoint.  Now it just continues to start to boot up and then restart.  Any advice?

Allan

• Mastermind
      Try a repair install (Boot to the XP CD and choose the SECOND repair option)

harger6

Topic Starter

Rookie

Allen,

I appreciate the advice but I am at a complete loss when it comes to computers.  So are you saying that I use an XP CD and then turn on the computer.  When it starts to turn on there will be a section that gives me 2 repair options and I click on the second one?  If that is what you are saying then I will try to find the CD and give it a try.  Thanks

Kari

Allan

• Mastermind

harger6

Topic Starter

Rookie

Okay, I looked at those links and I think I can do that.  one last question... how do I backup my information if I cannot get on the computer?

Kari

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "