Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop screen idk wired  (Read 2265 times)

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Laptop screen idk wired
« on: June 11, 2010, 03:24:46 PM »
Ok so yesterday I found my dads old win 98 laptop anywway the screen is wierd its really slow when i drag my mouse It looks like it trails but the setting isn't on and when i scroll up or down it gets blurry I tried it to a reagular screen and it worked fine is the screen ruined or is it like that?

This is a Toshiba satellite 2250
550 MHz Proccessor
160 mb RAM
6 GBhdd

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Laptop screen idk wired
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 08:13:05 PM »
Not exactly sure what it's doing, but have you checked that the video driver is installed?

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 08:45:37 AM »
Do you have recovery discs that came with that computer?  A hard drive formatting and fresh installation of Windows might make a miraculous change.

Of course, if it has some important files on it, you would need to back them up to something external before formatting.

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 10:28:03 AM »
yes i do have recovery disks to it and the computer has go back 3. What confuses me is that when it starts it show the toshiba logo and the screen is still like that when the go back 3 loads but reverting the drive isn't a bad idea. I'll try it after exams

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 03:49:57 PM »
It's the screen. Apparently you are used to these new fangled fancy Active Matrix displays. laptops used to have Passive Matrix screens with rather low response time.

My Satellite 440CDX has a similar problem- it's terribly washed out and has an awful response time. But, I used it for years for programming, and it worked great for that.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 06:27:06 PM »
ok but you see I have another laptop that I recieved over the summer. The owner claimed the screen was broken because they droped it but the ribbon cable was unpluged and the side hinge broken from the fall. I also gave it a new CMOS battery and Cleaned the fan out and the screen works great I use it for my dos games and GTA 2 and stuff like that. It a 1999 (same year as the other one) IBM a20m Thinkpad. I also Have a 1994 NEC and the screen responce time is still better that the toshiba. Are you sure cleaning it with the cd won't work?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 06:46:04 PM »
Yes.

my Toshiba Satellite Pro 440CDX was manufactured in 1996, any my IBM thinkpad 755 CDV was manufactured in 1995.

The Toshiba Satellite display is as I described- the colours are washed out, the response time is so slow that it appears to have trails enabled even when it doesn't, etc.

my Thinkpad has Crystal clear display that rivals my newer (late 2009) satellite's display in clarity (but not in resolution... 640x480 vs. 1080 by 800 IIRC).

besides, it wasn't suddenly 1996 and POOF! everybody is now using Active matrix LCDs in their laptops. they were still cost prohibitive and often optional in most cases, so there were a lot of laptops put into "circulation" that had relatively crappy passive matrix screens.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.