Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IDE vs. ATA cables  (Read 3356 times)

columbonet

IDE vs. ATA cables
« on: July 20, 2005, 03:17:10 PM »

Is there a difference?  I have a new HD that refers to ATA cables. I am using an IDE cable and keep getting a "check cable" error. Is this due to the cable or something else.

Thanks,  columbonet

Computer_Commando

Re: IDE vs. ATA cables
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 03:46:47 PM »

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 05:02:58 PM »
ATA is the official name. But many people refer to ATA flat ribbon cables as IDE cables.

I am using an IDE cable and keep getting a "check cable" error. Is this due to the cable or something else

Does this error display on your monitor and does nothing else show? If yes, it is not related to the IDE cable. It is related to the VGA or DVI cable leading from your monitor to the videocard.

If your computer is telling you (after POST) that it is not detecting 80 pin IDE (ATA) cables, you have to configure the BIOS to 40 pin/33 DMA as opposed to 80 pin / 66/100/133 UDMA. This will prevent the error from showing.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 05:05:02 PM by Raptor »

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 05:07:29 PM »
Check the jumper settings on the drive......

columbonet

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 05:08:36 PM »
  All it says is "Check Cables"
 "System Halted"

ATA is the official name. But many people refer to ATA flat ribbon cables as IDE cables.

Does this error display on your monitor and does nothing else show? If yes, it is not related to the IDE cable. It is related to the VGA or DVI cable leading from your monitor to the videocard.

If your computer is telling you (after POST) that it is not detecting 80 pin IDE (ATA) cables, you have to configure the BIOS to 40 pin/33 DMA as opposed to 80 pin / 66/100/133 UDMA. This will prevent the error from showing.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 05:18:34 PM »
Can you supply us with a little bit more info.....operating system.....and specs of the pc.....is this an added harddrive......<slave> or you are building a pc.....<home build project> ok

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 05:25:16 PM »
All it says is "Check Cables"
  "System Halted"

1. Has this started recently?
2. Have you made changes to the BIOS
3. Have you made changes to the hardware?
4. Have you checked the cables?

columbonet

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 07:29:38 PM »
  ok. a little more info.

Old drive went bad.  New drive ordered from gateway installed. I've tried the jumpers set to c/s and master. There is no slave drive. The cable has not been tested (going to do this tomorrow) BIOS is set per instructions.

I've installed drives before and this is the first time I've had a problem.

1. Has this started recently?
2. Have you made changes to the BIOS
3. Have you made changes to the hardware?
4. Have you checked the cables?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 07:52:33 PM »
40-conductor or 80-conductor cable?  Both have 40-pin connectors.  80's are distinguised by colored connectors.  System is blue, slave is gray, master is black.  If cable has 3 connectors, don't use middle one.

columbonet

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005, 08:02:37 PM »

blue to board, black to HD, gray unused.

40-conductor or 80-conductor cable?  Both have 40-pin connectors.  80's are distinguised by colored connectors.  System is blue, slave is gray, master is black.  If cable has 3 connectors, don't use middle one.

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2005, 05:46:59 AM »
If cable has 3 connectors, don't use middle one

What would the middle connector be used for?

blue to board, black to HD, gray unused.

Try using the Grey connector and setting the jumper to Master.