Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Files from old to new computer  (Read 2505 times)

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Files from old to new computer
    « on: July 03, 2010, 10:54:26 PM »
    I have a new computer with Windows 7. My old computer has Windows 98SE. I have an ADSL connection to the Internet. I will have both computers connected to the Internet during a change over period as I have a D-Link 512 router. I will be transferring selected files and folders from the old computer to the new. I welcome advice as to the best means to do this.

marvinengland

Hopeful

Re: Files from old to new computer
      « Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 08:58:02 PM »
      I have a new computer with Windows 7. My old computer has Windows 98SE. I have an ADSL connection to the Internet. I will have both computers connected to the Internet during a change over period as I have a D-Link 512 router. I will be transferring selected files and folders from the old computer to the new. I welcome advice as to the best means to do this.

The USB  memory sticks are the best way to transfer personal files.  ALL  your system files are in place. USB sticks are easy to use and you may decide at the last second where to place the files on the new machine.

KISS ( Keep It Simple Sam )

Good luck
      USA

ILikeComputers!

Rookie

• Yes
        • JustAnotherGeek
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 02:03:39 PM »
      I would recommend using an Ethernet crossover cable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp19bfe_eqk&feature=related

Or you could just share a folder on your new computer and copy all the files you need from the old computer to the newer one.

USB sticks work, but not that well. They can only transfer files up to a certain size, and you need to get drivers, which i could not in my case.
      -ILikeComputers

My Website

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 02:23:17 PM »
      Copy them to your backup media of choice.  If you don't have a backup, now's a good time to start.