Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 10 Port Mains Powered USB Hub  (Read 2236 times)

Sailorman

10 Port Mains Powered USB Hub
« on: August 10, 2010, 09:00:02 PM »
I bought a usb 2 10 port mains powered hub and when I plug it into my computer and plug the various peripherals into it my computer runs as slow as watching paint dry.
My computer operating system is windows vista home basic. The computer I have is old (like me) intel celeron, 1gb ram. I am currently using a 4 port usb hub (generic) with own power and have had no problems.
Can anybody help me with a solution to my problem with the 10 port hub cause I would like to use it.
Thankyou.

Tim_Cdy

Beginner

Re: 10 Port Mains Powered USB Hub
    « Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 01:22:46 AM »
    Too many USB devices or perhaps your USB standard is 1.1 maybe and your equipment running slower. Is the ten port hub ok to run under a generic driver or did you get a disc?

truenorth

Guru

Re: 10 Port Mains Powered USB Hub
      « Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 07:58:10 AM »
      You might want to optimize your use of the 10 port hub by ensuring that items plugged into it are only powered on when being used.This will allow the convenience of having them all plugged in but limit the power draw on the computer. Also if not already done so you may gain some performance increase re the hub if it is plugged into a rear usb port as opposed to a front one. You could also experiment with the various devices to see which are causing the slowing down of the computer and govern your use with that knowledge. truenorth
      P.S. Not being aware of your computer knowledge level given my recommendations above. Ensure that the proper procedure for the "safely remove hardware" procedure is adhered to when disconnecting/removing/shutting down any device connected to your 10 port hub. To not do so can have potential disastrous results--known from personal experience.
      « Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 08:11:25 AM by truenorth »