Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: start up issues  (Read 11735 times)

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: start up issues
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2010, 12:58:25 PM »
Since BIOS says 2 SATA devices are recognized, there's another thing to try.  Unplug the SATA data cable from the WD drive and plug it back it.  A poor contact can do weird things like this.

I have a spare WD drive from a Dell that does exactly the same thing.  BIOS sees it and then it won't boot 100% of the time.  I worked on it for weeks until I finally figured it out.  The SATA connections at the drive end were just loose enough to lose full contact.  If I took all the tension off the cable it booted.  I tightened it up with a very thin piece of plastic (Post-It bookmark) and all issues disappeared.

BTW, it was a used drive and was mostly likely ditched for this very reason.  Now it works just fine and passes all tests.

LadyAce002

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2010, 10:45:03 AM »
    Thanks for all ur help and advice guys. Im gonna go with the hard drive is shot.
    When i did the start up repairs from my OS reinstallation cd, it tried doing the
    tests but it said "no hard drive found if there is one installed it is not responding."
    I might just go out and buy a new hd, hm i would then have to buy windows too right??

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #32 on: August 11, 2010, 11:48:17 AM »
    Well, if you don't have an OS disc then yes, you need to buy one.