Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with laptop turning on.........  (Read 3088 times)

mark227

Topic Starter

Beginner

Problem with laptop turning on.........
    « on: August 21, 2010, 09:26:49 PM »
    I have a Dell Studio 15 ( Studio 1555) that is just a little over 1 year old. I used it one night everything ran fine, go to turn it on in the morning and it won't turn on. I pulled the battery out then put it back in, it turned on for about an hour then shut off. Sometimes it'll turn on, sometimes it won't, any ideas on what I should start to trouble shoot first, thank.......

Accessless

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Problem with laptop turning on.........
    « Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 03:20:17 AM »
    Power cable might be a good place to start. Do you get a charging or A/C symbol or light whilst the laptop is plugged in? If not then it's probably a charger fault. If the laptop is displaying an A/C connection then try the laptop without the battery.

mark227

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 06:47:04 AM »
      Blue light on the charging adapter will come on, white light on laptop will come on. If the laptop does turn on it'll show that the battery is charging, but loses charge in about one hour. I haven't been able to get the laptop to turn on without the battery in it. If I remove the battery then put it back in sometime the laptop will turn on and runs fine. I'll shut it off when I'm done using it, go to turn it back on in the morning and nothing happens  ???

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 01:29:26 PM »
      What version of Operating System do you have since one year old should be Windows 7. 

Have you checked the configuration for the battery.

Is the system shutting down or going to sleep or hibernate mode to conserve power.  What is the power light on the laptop doing (flash on/off or completely off.)

"Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 01:38:42 PM »
      What version of Operating System do you have since one year old should be Windows 7. 

What possible difference would that make?

Have you checked the configuration for the battery.

WHAT configuration?

Is the system shutting down or going to sleep or hibernate mode to conserve power.  What is the power light on the laptop doing (flash on/off or completely off.)

Did you bother to read his post? Or understand it?

Rustys

Intermediate

• Escaped Mental Patient
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 02:41:02 PM »

What possible difference would that make?

Each version of windows had different ways of displaying the power options properties.

Have you checked the configuration for the battery?

WHAT configuration?

Under the Control Panel for Power Options.  There the system can be configured to go to Stand By or power off when the battery get to X% when running on battery only.  Windows 7 looks different from XP.

Is the system shutting down or going to sleep or hibernate mode to conserve power.  What is the power light on the laptop doing (flash on/off or completely off?)  I have also had the issue when the system was in stand by mode pressing the power button did nothing.  Turned out the power switch was faulty.

Did you bother to read his post? Or understand it?

Did read.  I have also have a dell laptop the battery died after about a year where it would only last for about 40 minutes or less on a charge.  Replaced the battery had no problems.  Hope this clarifies what I was trying to say.
      "Confucius could give answer to that... unfortunately Confucius not here at moment."