Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to stop the Windows Live Messenger "What's New" lag  (Read 3588 times)

Big

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
    How to stop the Windows Live Messenger "What's New" lag
    « on: September 01, 2010, 10:32:10 AM »
    The Problem

I am using Windows Live Messenger and this program gets very annoying right when it signs in;
    it lags for at least 30 seconds and my CPU goes 100% all the time and I can't do much but wait.

When did it happen?

This problem started occuring when I unselected the 'Show what's new' option in Tools -> Options -> Layout.
    Not only that, but I went to the actual website (it logs you in with your .net passport and processes what 'what's new' groups you are subscribed to. I had no lag before, when they were all selected.
    Now that I deselected them all (that means, not using my account for any lame groups I'm not interested in),
    I get this lag problem, for some reason.

What do I wish to do about it?

I want to find a way to catch this sucker in its exact subroutine where it is doing something in the likes of loadWhatsNew(); and stop it, or block that method/routine. I'm not sure if I can do it with PE-Explorer, but ideas are welcome. Just as long as I can stop this lag.

Info

- My laptop is very much *ware (e.g. spyware) free.
    - I don't want to use other Messengers/programs
    Computerhope is corrupt.

Zbd

Re: How to stop the Windows Live Messenger "What's New" lag
    « Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 11:12:33 AM »
    Have you tried this?

close MSN
    start
    control panel
    add and remove programs
    MSN
    'change'
    when the wizard comes up select REPAIR
    wait til the wizard finishes
    sign in again

Big

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: How to stop the Windows Live Messenger "What's New" lag
      « Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 11:20:53 AM »
      Zbd,

Oddly enough, I don't see the uninstaller in its directory and I don't see it in Add/Remove control panel.
      Computerhope is corrupt.