Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Random Computer Crashes  (Read 2939 times)

kate1314

Random Computer Crashes
« on: February 21, 2006, 08:36:14 PM »
I promise. that I will fly out to whoever helps me fix my computer and marry them!

-My computer randomly shuts down, sometimes up to 4 times an hour. The problem seems to have started as best I can tell after I installed service pack 2 on my Windows XP system to use my families wireless internet.  I cannot, however, remove service pack 2. It just won't let me. My compter has yet to shut down if I am disconnected from all wireless internets.  When I reboot, the black startup screen says that it may be a problem with newly installed hardware, to which I don't think I have any new hardware. Sometimes, when i rebot, my computer detects newly installed ethernet hardware, to which I don't think I have done anything with (since I don't even know what it is!) When I run the Windows Error report it says that the problem is from the IntelPro Wireless Software. So I downloaded what it told me to, with no success. Any thoughts????? I would greatly appreciate any help!

T-Chai

Re: Random Computer Crashes
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 01:17:52 AM »
Renew the computer again because there are so many corruption in your PC

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 01:42:45 AM »
I promise. that I will fly out to whoever helps me fix my computer and marry them!
Now wait a second...  We haven't seen a photo... that could just as easily be a threat as a promise!  ;)

My computer randomly shuts down, sometimes up to 4 times an hour.
From the rest of your descriptio, it sounds like you've got some faulty network hardware.  Do you happen to know what kind of network device you're using - i.e. PCI card, onboard, PCMCIA (laptops only) or USB?

How long have you had this computer?  Did it come with the network hardware already installed?

Where did you obtain service pack 2 from?  Do you have your original Windows XP restore CD?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

kate1314

Elix and Robpomeroy
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 09:43:08 AM »
Elix- Thank you for your help! By renewing the computer- does that mean to just clear everything off and restart it like when I first got it? Sorry to be annoying with my computer ignorance!

Robpomeroy- On my device manager it lists Network adapters it lists the Network Adapters as 1394 Net Adapter, Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter, and Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection. It also lists PCMCIA adapters as Ricoh R/RL/5D476(II) which is listed twice. When I click on them it says they are each “working properly” The only thing I installed is Intel PROSet/Wireless Software version 9.0.1.0-generic TIC 90281 at the recommendation of the Microsoft error report. So I’m pretty sure all the network adapters came installed.

I’ve had my computer for about 2 years and it is no longer under warrantee. I have the application and drivers CD, the operating system CD, and boot up disk made by a friend for me during another computer problem. I got service pack 2 from the Microsoft Website and installed it myself.

Thank you so much!

PS. I don’t think it would be a threat  ;)

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 10:05:28 AM »
Kate, at this stage, it might be kinder to your PC to do a complete reinstall.  ;)

If you want to soldier on, try getting the very latest drivers for your wireless network card using >this link<.  Before you install them, go to Start-->Control panel-->(switch to classic view if necessary)-->System-->Hardware-->Device manager.

In Device Manger, go to Network Adapters, find the Intel 2200BG, right-click on it, choose properties-->Driver-->Uninstall.

Having uninstalled the driver, try installing the one downloaded from Intel.  Report back.

I'd have the proposal at the ready, but I think my wife might disapprove.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos