Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Running game in WinXP SP3 compatibility mode.  (Read 5452 times)

Crafty

Running game in WinXP SP3 compatibility mode.
« on: October 21, 2010, 01:34:12 PM »
Say I run a game in WinXP SP3 compatibility mode when I have windows 7 ultimate 64, will the game still use my 6 gig of ram I have? Thankyou!!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 01:48:06 PM by Crafty »

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Running game in WinXP SP3 compatibility mode.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 02:44:59 PM »
The software will only use what it needs, Windows still allocates the RAM as needed.
Evil is an exact science.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 02:58:53 PM »
That's not what he wanted to know :)

Unless I'm mistaken, compatibility mode will have access to all ram.

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 03:01:01 PM »
That's not what he wanted to know :)

Unless I'm mistaken, compatibility mode will have access to all ram.

Hehe, it wouldn't be the first time that I misunderstood a question, good save Allan.
Evil is an exact science.

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 07:32:33 PM »
Seeing as they recommend having at least 2GB minimum for XP compatibility mode, I would have to assume whatever is beyond that would be accessible as well.

Crafty

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 11:57:21 AM »
Thanks for the replies so far... However, the replies I have had so far seem a little uncertain. Does anyone else know for certain if it will still use my 6 gig ram in WinXP SP3 compatibility mode?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 10:59:55 PM »
If you are running a program in XP compatibility mode, it must be 32-bit and therefore would never be able to access more then 2GB of RAM simultaneously. (Actually, 4GB, but that's 4GB has the upper 2GB reserved by the system)) However, memory beyond the ~3.5GB "limit" will still be allocated by the memory manager. Remember, a "pointer" or memory handle is only valid in a single address space; an address/pointer in one program can point to a piece of data while the same pointer number in another program could point to something completely different; each 4GB address space (32-bit programs) is completely independent. 64-bit programs have a much larger address space, but in both cases, the actual memory address and therefore where it is stored in physical memory is not actually something one can discover, and would be rather silly to try to do anyway because unless you lock a piece of memory the memory manager could swap it out at any time to virtual memory and swap in something else for some other program, meaning that that segment of physical memory is now in use by some other program.

The only thing "compatibility mode" does is configure a number of App-Shims that are commonly needed by programs written for XP.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.