Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HD not showing in BIOS but see it in recovery console  (Read 2698 times)

Vladimer

HD not showing in BIOS but see it in recovery console
« on: October 17, 2010, 11:20:50 PM »
Hi guys,

Been fiddling with this for the past few days and have been having no luck so I am hoping someone here can enlighten me :)

I have a hard drive/motherboard/ram/processor/video card that I took from one case and put it in another. I cant seem to be able to get it going now though.

When I go into BIOS the only thing it sees under boot options is the CD-Rom and floppy drive... Thing is though, i don't have the floppy drive actually connected to the mother board. Which makes me think that its the Hard drive... unless the Bios always lists floppy.

When I put in a XP recovery disc It boots up into the recovery console and I can actually get onto C:\Windows\, I also re-installed windows on there but when I restarted I still get the same message which is:

"reboot and select proper boot device
or insert boot media in selected boot device"

I have downloaded the manual for the motherboard which is a Intel D865PERL and as far as I can tell it is plugged in correctly. Which I'm sure can be doubtfull since I have this problem.

I removed the jump pin on the hard drive which is a 80 GB Seagate barracuda 7200. 7 since I tried all the jump spots and been getting the same thing.

Thanks for your time, I'm open to all suggestions.

EDIT: Just plugged in the floppy drive since it just hit me that maybe it needs a floppy to have all the required devices... wishful thinking as I am still getting the same message on startup.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 11:41:14 PM by Vladimer »

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: HD not showing in BIOS but see it in recovery console
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 03:11:27 AM »
1. Depends on the BIOS, but a lot do always list the floppy.

2. Check on the page of the BIOS that lists PATA (IDE) and SATA devices, not boot devices, and see if the drive is listed there and identified correction. It will usually list the manufacturer (or an abbreviation of their name) and the model number of the device.

3. Double check that the hard drive is plugged into the correct position on the cable (for IDE) or the first SATA plug (SATA0 or SATA1, depending on the motherboard).

4. It's a task, I know, but you might want to unplug all the cables and plug them all in again, just to make sure you got them all securely in place.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: HD not showing in BIOS but see it in recovery console
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 06:12:03 AM »
In the drive section there is an option to ID the HDD...
Havve you ran this yet ? ?
Where is this HDD from and what is on it ? ?

IDE cabling :

MB==========================================Slave============Master

The HDD should be jumpered master and at the end of the cable.
You may also want to try a brand new cable....do a few cold boots with it disconnected 1st.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
  • Experience: Beginner