Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard drive problem  (Read 11193 times)

Codeblue

Hard drive problem
« on: June 20, 2004, 12:22:38 AM »
My 1 year old baby likes to play with the computer, I found it in the BIOS screen. I closed it then booted and now it is not seeing the hard drive. I found the rescue discs and tried to restore but it starts to restore then locks up and does nothing. I have to then cycle power to recover. How can I fix this without losing all data????

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Hard drive problem
    « Reply #1 on: June 20, 2004, 12:28:10 AM »
    Codeblue......did you think to check the bios.....its possible that the baby may have changed something when hitting the keys......
    let us know

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

MalikTous

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 11:40:26 AM »
    Go into BIOS and try autodetecting your HD to log it back in. make sure it's set to LBA mode and that the block and UDMA modes are on. Also make sure the IDE/ATAPI channels are both on.

Then get a key switch for your case and connect it to the Key Lock pins on your MB, so you can disable the keyboard while the little one is crawling on it.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 12:15:01 PM »
    You are aware that there are toys avaible that are suitable for children under the age of 3?

Toys that donot short-circuit when one drools on them..

Joleen

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 01:18:25 PM »
    Hey Raptor, easy on the sarcasm.  I hear some folk don't care for it, no sir.. not one bit.

Codeblue

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 08:44:49 PM »
    I tried to get into the BIOS but have not been successful, I tried F1, F2, f10, Esc, Ins and Del while booting but did not work. I am not very familiar with BIOS so any basic suggestions would help immensly.

chade

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 09:22:16 PM »
    What brand, and what model motherboard do you have?

eg

Brand: Giga-byte
    Model: GA-7VAXP

We could tell you from that.

Mike_512

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2004, 03:28:16 AM »
    Hey Raptor, easy on the sarcasm.  I hear some folk don't care for it, no sir.. not one bit.

You're right there.. and i'm with Lolly on this one Joleen. More sarcasm from you in this instance

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 04:35:24 AM »
    Joleen must be a very bad host, considering the fact that she's scaring off all the quests.

Only press the BIOS entry key when the system tells you to. Usually when you first turn it on. If your monitor is slow with warming up you can just keep one of the keys pressed until you see a blue screen coming up.
    « Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 04:36:56 AM by Raptor »

Joleen

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2004, 05:27:25 AM »
    You're right there.. and i'm with Lolly on this one Joleen. More sarcasm from you in this instance

yup

Joleen must be a very bad host, considering the fact that she's scaring off all the quests

In all seriousness.. did I miss something?  I'm neither a host(ess) nor are we knights aspiring to complete a quest.

C'mon people, ease up.  If you want me to change my ways feel free to PM me.  I won't be offended.  I've had only one message so far.

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2004, 05:55:14 AM »
    Does that mean I have to give back my knight suit to my little brother?

laura127

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2004, 06:57:14 AM »
    Does that mean I have to give back my knight suit to my little brother?

LMAO!!