Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Monitor Powers down and Several Buzzing Noises heard  (Read 4038 times)

Shlief

Computer Monitor Powers down and Several Buzzing Noises heard
« on: December 02, 2010, 10:18:56 AM »
Hello all i was wondering if someone could help me with an issue ive been havin for the last 2 weeks. a couple weeks ago my computer started to act funny by turning off the monitor and not responding unless i held down the power button to turn off and restarted it.

at first i thought it was my video card so i removed it and put in my old card that came with the computer. but right as i figured i had fixed the problem it did the same thing. while trying to boot the computer the screen would go off and the computer would start making several internal buzzing noises. kinda like an annoying noise you would hear if you answered a question wrong. then i simply removed the video cards are plugged my monitor into the integrated graphics. this still didnt fix the issue, the monitor would still turn off and the computer would buzz. ive ruled out it being the monitor because i have another computer at home that i plugged the monitor into and it works just fine. i thought it might have been the PCI Drivers had been deleted, so i went updated them.

after several days of wondering what was wrong i booted the comp one more time and it told me it was missing the Windows/config/system was missing or corrupt. a friend, who works at Best Buy Geek Squad, told me i needed to fix my registry but said it might be easier to reformat the computer. so i did. i reformatted the computer and started it fresh. everything seemed ok until i started asking the computer to do things like run Anti-Virus Programs or go online, it would do the same thing, the monitor goes off and the buzzing noise starts again.

so my question is what could be the issue? could it be that i still have a bug in my registry and its still messing around in my comp? could it be the power supply? or the motherboard?

i have a Dell Dimension E510 that is about 5 years old, i run Windows XP Media Edition 2005, The graphics card i use is an Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT, i have Intel Pentium 4 HT Dual Processor, ive got 2 1G DDR2 Sticks of RAM, my Mobo is a CRUUS Connolly E1287242 (hasnt changed since i ordered from Dell, just came with it) and my power supply is a CRUUS Model N305N-03 it has an input of 100-120V.

if you need more info let me know

(i also found where the noise was coming from and its coming form the Mother Board, and previously before reformatting i had attempted to install Ubuntu by booting the comp from the CD drive, the comp would acknowledge the Ubuntu and show me the background for it but right as the setup window would appear the computer would do the same thing, idk if that information helps but thought id mention it anyways)

Thank You
-JC

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Computer Monitor Powers down and Several Buzzing Noises heard
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 10:26:07 AM »
It's not a software problem, it's a hardware problem.  If it's not the CPU fan and the buzzing is coming from the motherboard, it likely a bad capacitor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 01:39:40 PM »
    CC --An excellent article related to the problem it highlights. Too bad some of the companies involved have NOT seen fit to apprise owners of their products about this. The only thing absent in the article is any reference to a "sound" accompanying the failure which our O/P mentions. I do note your "fan" reference and if there is a fan on the CPU perhaps that is the source of the noise as you suggest. If a visual inspection of the motherboard is possible your article states what to look for in terms of the capacitor issue. truenorth

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    « Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 04:49:48 PM »
    ...The only thing absent in the article is any reference to a "sound" accompanying the failure which our O/P mentions....
    Article says:  "effects can range from a pop and a hissing noise to a small explosion".  But in any event, bad electrolytic capacitors can make a buzzing noise when failing.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 09:55:29 AM »
      CC, I certainly bow to your i.m sure greater experience and knowledge as to the "sound" issue. Though i did take the reference you point to as being a one time "event" issue as to when the capacitor actually bites the dust as opposed to an "ongoing" phenomenon as seems to be the case here. Hopefully we shall hear again from the O/P has to the results of their findings. truenorth

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      « Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 12:14:38 PM »
      Took me a while to find it.
      Vibration and audible noise of capacitors subjected to nonsinusoidal waveforms

This is the Abstract:  Vibration and audible noise generated by power capacitors subjected to nonsinusoidal waveforms are discussed. A study of the relation between the vibration (audible noise generated) and the capacitor current (and voltage) is presented. Capacitor data obtained in the laboratory and in a distribution substation are compared. This investigation confirms that a bank of power capacitors can generate significant noise if the capacitor current contains high frequency harmonics.

I think this deals with large power factor correction (i.e. distribution substation) capacitors, but could apply to smaller ones, too.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 01:04:12 PM »
      The vibration of capacitor electrodes because of "non-sinusoidal waveforms" has been put to good use in some highly regarded audio products

A Quad Electrostatic loudspeaker

Stax electrostatic headphones