Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How Can I Output My Headset Signal From My Laptop?  (Read 8164 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: How Can I Output My Headset Signal From My Laptop?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 11:31:45 PM »
I didn't think I would have to explain the configuration of the jack on the end of a headset...

Actually, you are right; there was some confusion; I just read back and see that you are in fact using a single cord, not two. honestly I think I was personally confused by CC's post that references multiple connectors, when yours only has one.

have you ever plugged a headset into a cell phone?
No. I've never used a cellphone actually. (Amazing huh?) Sounds like... actually, I just did a quick google-

The connector used by cellphones looks like a standard phono cord (and in fact it has the same form factor) but is in fact a "TRRS" (Tip,Ring,Ring,Sleeve) connector, which contains 4 separate conductors for transferring analog data; so you've got left channel and right-channel for the headphone portion, and left channel and right channel for the microphone (although I imagine most headsets just have a single microphone and stuff the same signal into left and right) . Now, the problem is, Almost PC sound circuitry isn't wired for TRRS, it's wired for your standard 2-channel audio, so, as you note, you need an adapter.

Thankfully armed with the proper name it's a matter of googling... and we discover that CC was in fact right on the money. you need a headset adapter; this separates the four signals into two sets of two signals (one for mic, one for output).

Now that it's connected to the laptop (Mic connected to the Mic port on the laptop, the other one connected to the "headphone" port or to the line out depending on what you're after.) the only question is how you are trying to output.

Tricky, no idea what you're planning here, but there are splitters available- what you need is probably a TRRS Female  to two TRS female adapters. I would imagine some of the various "headset adapter" solutions would work.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 01:07:43 PM »
I am wanting to process my signal real time and run it back out from my laptop... without blending (mixing the ear and mic signals together).

I used to be a proffesional sound man for numerous bands before my hearing started to go wonky on my.  That's just part of the job.  However, I can tell you for certainty that all that will generate is feedback loop.

What you want to do will require two seperate systems, one running as a track recorder, and one running as a mixer.  I will also recommend using a piece of software that is called CakeWalk

<edit>The software is not free, it's quite expensive but may be the best for your application.  Also there may be a free package, feel free to look.</edit>
Evil is an exact science.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 01:47:49 PM »
... and we discover that CC was in fact right on the money. you need a headset adapter; this separates the four signals into two sets of two signals (one for mic, one for output)...
What a surprise!  I've done this on my own computer.  Ended up buying a computer type headset, with separate mic & audio plugs rather than get adapters for the cell phone/cordless phone headset because it was a lot cheaper & easier.  Computer headset was $10, adapters were more.  Further complicating things is the connector size:  computer is 3.5mm, phone is 2.5mm.  Get one of these & save yourself a lot of trouble.

Quantos

Guru
  • Veni, Vidi, Vici
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 02:38:44 PM »
What a surprise!  I've done this on my own computer.  Ended up buying a computer type headset, with separate mic & audio plugs rather than get adapters for the cell phone/cordless phone headset because it was a lot cheaper & easier.  Computer headset was $10, adapters were more.  Further complicating things is the connector size:  computer is 3.5mm, phone is 2.5mm.  Get one of these & save yourself a lot of trouble.
You may have done something similar, however what the OP has laid out would create a feedback loop.  There need to be two systems for the mixing of the tracks and the overlay of the tracks, if he wants to do that in realtime. 
Evil is an exact science.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 02:51:12 PM »
    You do understand that the "headset" out put is generally NOT that which was "input". The combo is often used to carry on a conversation in which case the "input" is you the "output" is that which is that which is received from the "other" party. The only time i can see you using the "output" of the microphone (input) is if you recorded whatever was input through it . Then you could play it back and hear it on the headset (output). It sounds to me as if you are trying to accomplish this simultaneously. If that is so i think we are all curious as to what the desire to do this is driven by. Many attempts have been made thus far to try and have you explain that. truenorth

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 03:34:48 PM »
    I have been trying to follow this and am still lost as to what the OP wanted.
    And yes, I also have worked as a Audio Professional for a number off years and am familiar with different kinds of connectors.
    Not knowing what he wants, I will guess.
    He wants to use his laptop as a Karaoke machine with tracks for his voice separate from the Music and Midi and whatever else he has. And yes, people do that sort of thing with laptop and no special equipment or connectors are needed. But if you want it in  real time, the laptop can only output two channels, unless you add some more hardware.
    Was my guess even close?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 04:50:25 PM »
      Maybe there is a great prize if we figure out what the O/P is trying to accomplish.truenorth