Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Some help with startup  (Read 2222 times)

lamboii

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Some help with startup
    « on: January 14, 2011, 07:14:33 AM »
    Well recently i dropped my laptop and it started to make clicking sounds when it loads something big if you understand what i mean.
    So through research i found out that it was a hard drive problem and that soon my hard drive may die.
    So what i tried was replacing my laptop hard drive with my older one from another laptop.
    What happened when i replaced it was that on the boot up screen ( windows loading) immediately the blue screen Of death appeared and the laptop restarts again.
    After the restart, the boot up screen offers me a start up repair option , i chose that and waited for it to repair but after it finished it said it could not repair it or something.
    Can anyone tell me whats the problem?

Note: The laptop that i dropped is a HP laptop and the hard drive i used to replace it with is from a Acer laptop. Also when i put in Acers hard drive , i only made sure the connector was connected to the hard drive and did not make the hard drive fit INSIDE the laptop(dono if it matters since its connected already).
    I think both the HDD are diffrent brands , if that affects anything.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Some help with startup
    « Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 07:26:31 AM »
    You can't just take a drive from one computer, put it in another, and expect the system to boot. You need to format it and reinstall the OS and all programs.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 08:00:32 AM »
      To elaborate a little more on Allan's statement. Your Acer hardrive was at "home" in that computer. It knew all it's associations (hardware/software). Now it has been put into a new location where it knows none of those things. Allan's suggestion will remove it's knowledge of it's previous "home" and set up the conditions to become familiar with it's new surroundings. truenorth

lamboii

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 10:47:26 AM »
        oh ok thanks guys.
        also a quick question if you guys are familiar with the program Macrium reflect.
        if i were to insert the rescue CD in , is it possible to override my Acers drive with the image of my cloned drive.
        If your not familiar with the program, thats fine thank you again. :D

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 10:57:24 AM »
        In regards to Macrium Reflect if you boot to the CD it will take precedence over any Acer existing apps...
        It will then ask for the location of the image file...point it there and follow the prompts and your system will be restored to the date you created the Macrium image...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "