Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My brand new computer will not turn on, help??  (Read 5871 times)

musclegiant

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    My brand new computer will not turn on, help??
    « on: February 18, 2011, 08:45:17 AM »
    I just bought a brand new gaming computer. It's an Acer Predator. Now the thing, out of the box, will not turn on. No fans, no lights, not anything. Yes, I'm aware of the power switch on the back, so no that's not the answer either. Acer wants me to send the *censored* thing and wait another 2-3 weeks which is bull since I JUST bought it. Is it possible something was knocked unplugged/loose during the transit from tigerdirect.com to my house? If it's a matter of plugging something back in, I can have a friend do that for me. If it was a faulty component the computer would at least turn on, hum, flicker or do something wouldn't it? The only time I've heard of a new cpu flat out not turning on is when my friend has bought custom pcs and some things weren't plugged in all the way. Is this most likely the case? Thanks in advance.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: My brand new computer will not turn on, help??
    « Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 09:06:07 AM »
    Return it

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 09:51:25 AM »
    Acer wants me to send the *censored* thing and wait another 2-3 weeks which is bull since I JUST bought it.

I don't follow your logic. If a brand new purchase is DOA then of course you "just bought it". How is that bull?

[...]

If it's a matter of plugging something back in, I can have a friend do that for me.

Risking invalidating the warranty ... now that is what I call "bull".

« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 10:48:45 AM by Salmon Trout »

musclegiant

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 10:39:40 AM »
      What about my logic is confusing to you? You buy a brand new computer that is suppose to be WORKING out of the box not be a 38 lb paper weight. The fact I have to send a BRAND NEW COMPUTER back to Acer AND pay for insurance that if it gets lost in the mail it's covered is BULL. Shipping cost is covered, that's it. See the logic? Oh and since when did opening the case of YOUR PC aka PERSONAL COMPUTER invalidate the warranty of any computer? There is no seal sticker to speak of. Instead of being a smart @$$, if you don't have a valid answer don't bother with my post, thanks.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 10:46:09 AM »
      Oh dear! I sure rattled the bars of your cage. So you think that the fact that you are disappointed that your new computer doesn't work somehow changes the terms of the purchase agreement you made?

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
        • Programming Blog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 10:51:51 AM »
      Why don't you just open the case yourself and look around. If you see anything that looks like it should be plugged in, then just post back here asking about it.

invalidate the warranty of any computer
      They will never know, unless you act stupid and plug/unplug something you don't know. Even if you did, I doubt it would be a problem.
      YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

musclegiant

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 10:59:43 AM »
        So the terms of purchase include not opening your case to say add extra memory or a new graphics card? Do you see where your logic is falling off the wayside? I had no intention to idiotically open a case and pull a bunch of wires and components out in order to see what was wrong. As Linux said I am PLANNING to do what he just said, but I simply wanted some calm and SENSIBLE advice from some people here which I got aside from yourself. The fact you decided to use sarcasm and end your first post with a juvenile and completely unnecessary joke makes you look like a tool. Want to see how you could of answered me? "I don't know, I'd be careful though because it MIGHT void your warranty just research it" As I got from another poster on another site. If you are here to be malicious towards those looking for help you should consider getting off this site all together. Thanks again Linux, I'll check it out when my buddy gets here.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 11:06:27 AM »
        So the terms of purchase include not opening your case

The terms of purchase seem to include you paying for insurance for the return shipping, that's what I meant.

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 11:11:07 AM »
        Arguing is silly and counterproductive. You asked a question and we answered it. It's a new system - if I were you I'd ship it back.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 01:25:58 PM »
        This is exactly the type of situation warranties are designed to be invoked on.

Also, they will probably know if you opened the case, despite Linux711's trivialization of that point. Many systems have "case intrusion" detection. Wether they use it, I don't know. It might not even be a condition of the warranty, but it usually is. (And no, I haven't a clue how the mechanism works, either).

So, if you fiddle about inside it, you <might> find out what is wrong, but chances are, there is a faulty component inside; which would need to be replaced. So you would either replace it yourself (which depending on the terms of the warranty may void it) or you would end up sending it back anyways and they might discover that the case has been opened and send it back to you untouched.

So the terms of purchase include not opening your case to say add extra memory or a new graphics card? Do you see where your logic is falling off the wayside?
        It's not so much his logic as the way most warranties work, and with good reason. What if somebody purchases a new computer, and then installs new memory or a graphics card, and a failing in one of those new components causes the motherboard to be fried? Or they replace the power supply and wire it up incorrectly? Surely failing of another manufacturer's components or the possible incompetence of the tinkerer (not you, that was of course a hypothetical example) isn't the liability of the computer manufacturer?

I really don't know if they use the case open detection thing, but I would imagine they do; after all no doubt it would be shipped in a "closed" position, and opening opening the case would flip it, so the techs on the other end will know that it was opened, which may cause problems down the road if you do need the warranty after all. While it is possible it is merely a loose power connection to the motherboard -although that seems doubtful to me, they are generally quite secure- there is also a good chance it is a faulty component (such as a power supply, the motherboard itself- even RAM or any add-on cards that came installed)) At which point you might not be able to use their (Acer's) warranty services as they might simply send it back to you (because it was opened). Then your only recourse might be to seek warranty replacement from the actual manufacturer of the faulty component, but unfortunately you often don't get a manufacturer warranty from OEM components in prefabricated machines.

TL,DR version:

There is a good chance opening the machine now could cause more aggravation and possibly cost more down the road then an uncovered shipping insurance charge would now.

of course, all that said, if I was in the exact same situation I would probably open it up, even knowing the above risks. Also because I don't learn from previous experience, having been bitten by everything I've said before and even being in the situation you are putting your friend end and voiding other peoples warranties, a fact which they firmly believe to be my fault to this day...

In any case, since you are planning to go ahead and open it anyway, most of this post was unnecessary vitriol.

If it was a faulty component the computer would at least turn on, hum, flicker or do something wouldn't it?
        Not necessarily. I've had bad RAM prevent a computer from turning on at all. a bad power supply would certainly do it as well. a bad motherboard too.

The only time I've heard of a new cpu flat out not turning on is when my friend has bought custom pcs and some things weren't plugged in all the way. Is this most likely the case?
        It's certainly possible, but I don't think it's the most likely scenario. It certainly would be the best case scenario, and the one to hope for when you crack it open. The rigors of shipping could have loosened one of the necessary power connections or an absent minded engineer didn't connect it to begin with.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 02:28:40 PM »
        Buy local...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

musclegiant

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 03:19:31 PM »
          Thank you Linux and BC for the only helpful advice, however I was right. He popped open the case and the power supply wasnt all the way plugged in. Problem solved; the computer runs amazingly.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 04:36:01 PM »
          Thank you Linux and BC for the only helpful advice, however I was right. He popped open the case and the power supply wasnt all the way plugged in. Problem solved; the computer runs amazingly.

Well, goodbye and good luck.