Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Buy another OS I supppose, according to MSoft no longer supports Vista key codes  (Read 5066 times)

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
My HP laptop was purchased used from a used PC dealer in West Memphis AR last fall. It had XP professional installed (wiped clean), (I have no key code)  but the sticker on the bottom of the machine shows it to have come from the HP factory with Vista Buisness (which I have the key code for). I have no Vista Buisness CD for this key code. So I tried loading Vista X64 bought by me (with code) but that oS purchase was for (system builders) installable on one machine only. I already have this same Vita X64 installed on my self built PC. So it will not activate with windows without purchase of another Vista home premium key code bought for this paerticular machine.

#1 Is there a way to recover the Vista buisness OS with the original factory OS for the machine (with proper key code). I'm asking because I want to run Win 7 X64 on this unit, but it looks like an upgrade from Vista bu
uisness would be less expensive than  full install'
But I need the proper Vista buisness OS intact in order to do so.
What next?
Thanks,
Mike

Long story short: If I can get Windows to acceprt the key code for Vista buisness for this machine, I 'd like to upgrade to Win 7 buisness? Cant do it with Vista home premuim other that a purchasisng a full version $$$. Furthermore, I'd like to run X64 based OS with Win &.
Whats my best move at this point?

Thanks everybody!
Mike

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
I'm looking at this Win 7 x64  1 install only
but I swap hard drives and other hardware often. I don't want to be constrained by 1 install only.'What to choose?
OR
You can see the Microsorst Wiondows optional OS page here
What should I do, with limited funs for this

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
download the appropriate recovery disc from the HP site.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
Ok, I'll do so later. Got to go to work right now.
I'll post back later.
Thanks BC!

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
I can't find it on the HP site, this screen.
I accessed HP online chat and they said I need to call 1-800-...... EST during buisness hours. But I'm working 7am-6pm CST weekdays so I don't know what to do next.
I guess I could buy a new copy of Win 7 but I really can't afford it right now and I'd kinda like to keep Vista because it's what I'm familiar with.

JJ 3000

Egghead
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
Okay jj. I'm on it. I may have to get some sleep so I can go to work in the morning but I'm still here for as long as possible.
The first option listed is restart/F11/recovery manager. I'll try that although this PC has had XP pro installed over the original Vista business, then Vista X64. But maybe the info is there. I'll try. Be back in a few minutes.

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
I see no "Recovery Media" option for Vista Business, 32 or 64 bit, nor for Vista HM Prem 64 bit. I tried 4 other options listed on this page but no joy. Sorry, but I must be missing it somehow?  :(

JJ 3000

Egghead
This part:

If you cannot create a set of recovery discs, you might be able to order a set of replacement discs from HP. HP maintains an inventory of replacement recovery discs for several years after the product has been released.

and this:
HP allows you to purchase one copy of a replacement recovery disc at minimal cost (all you pay for is the cost of the media, shipping, and handling). To place an order, you will need the product number, the serial number, the type of processor, the name of the Windows OS that came installed on the PC, and your credit card information.
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
If you cannot create a set of recovery discs, you might be able to order a set of replacement discs from HP. HP maintains an inventory of replacement recovery discs for several years after the product has been released.
That's what I'd like but I can't get to the ordering screen.

HP allows you to purchase one copy of a replacement recovery disc at minimal cost (all you pay for is the cost of the media, shipping, and handling). To place an order, you will need the product number, the serial number, the type of processor, the name of the Windows OS that came installed on the PC, and your credit card information.
I have all the info, machine P/N -S/N - AMD processor type and original operating system product key and a credit card ready. I just can't find the form to enter the information to order.

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
I've got to get a couple hours sleep jj. I'll check back tomorrow night.
Thanks again!!!

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
I called the 3rd shift at work and they said everything is running fine, and I'm due some days off, so I'm back. I'd now be able to contact HP support but I suspect you already have given me a solution (or will). I just am not accessing something-somewhere. Sorry for my PC software ignorance here jj & bc. I'm better at hardware type situations. (give me grease or an anti-static situation)
I did find something of interest within the specs given at this link for HP 6715b and was wondering if this will be a factor recovering/re-purchashing... my OS originally installed on this machine.
Genuine Windows Vista® Business downgrade to Genuine Windows® XP Professional
As stated in my first post, I bought this laptop used, and assumed XP Pro had been installed over Vista Business (since Vista Business product key sticker is attached), but does the info in the HP page (linked) suggest I may have had the original OS installed from the start? 

I was under the impression that installing an earlier version of Windows OS over a more current version was dis-allowed?

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
Done.  :) Just got off the phone with HP customer support.
Recovery CD of OS, which was originally installed on this machine, is now being shipped to me:

Description : Notebook 6515b,6715b,6715s, VISTA BUS 32 & 64 Bit
    Unit Price : $10.00
    Quantity : 1
    Product Amount:     $10.00
    Shipping/Handling:  $0.00
    Sales Taxes:            $0.70
    Order Total:            $10.70

The only information they nedded was product S/N & credit card info. I'm impressed with the HP customer service system and I'm also glad I've got you guru's on this board to guide me once again.
Thanks JJ 3000 and BC_Programmer!!!

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
I recieved the Vista Business x32 & x64 disc from HP and have Vista Business X64 up and running fine. And with all kinds of additional security features, including my notebooks fingerprint scanner, (the only feature not functional when I was running Vista Home Prem X64)(OS originally not offered with this 6715b pc).
Long story short - I'm a happy camper! Thanks again guys! :)

« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 11:07:47 PM by lectrocrew »