Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows xp , Startup / install probs  (Read 2805 times)

Technischerko

windows xp , Startup / install probs
« on: August 16, 2005, 08:37:43 PM »
I am trying to install windows xp on a compaq , And i put cd in , And press any key , And then format the hd and it copys the install files then reboots then all that comes up is a  , _ , And nothing else , I have tried taking the cd and still only the _

???

Thanks

Technischer ,

Any help would REALLY help

Raptor

Re: windows xp , Startup / install probs
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 08:25:13 AM »
I have tried taking the cd

You took the CD where?

What type of CD is this?

FireChaser

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 10:43:01 AM »
your gonna have to give us more information if you expect us to help u :P...

[glb]FireChaser[/glb]

technischerko

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 11:25:25 AM »
Ok this computer is like 4 years old , I have had like 4 diffrent op systems on it , win 98 , Win 2k , Win server 2k , Win xp pro , Win xp home , They all worked fine , then i wanted to format , So i put cd in , WINDOWS xp home ED Burned copy , i have tryed all kinda cds on it The orig and burned dvds , any kind , but along time ago when it first tdid the , _ , I was using the original win xp home cd , So i do quick reformat , It formats , Then starts to copy all the Install files to the hd , and then it reboots , and the cds still in the drive it asks me if i want to boot from cd , To press any key , But i dont , And then all the comes up is a , _ , And nothing else happends after that . I have tryed all diffrent ways of installing , And all diffrent hard drives But i cant seem to get this computer to boot an os .... anymore ....

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 11:42:41 AM »
Try setting the first boot device to either CD-ROM or HDD 0. depending on where you want to boot from.

technischerko

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 12:04:41 PM »
so setting the hd to boot first should fix this?

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 02:27:00 PM »
Maybe the hard drive,you are using does not contain,the original image file on it?

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 04:55:11 PM »
so setting the hd to boot first should fix this?

We won't know until you try.